From: Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com>
Subject: Re: Orders of Fault Management
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:06:13 GMT
Date: 2004-07-28T12:06:13+00:00	[thread overview]

The "All software has bugs" is not always true. However it is not really
something you can demonstrate. I just delivered a significant control
program (done in Ada) that - after rigorous verification - is operating
with no *known* bugs. There may be some in there - but we can't
demonstrate that there are from what we know.

Also, a "bug" may not truly stop a software application from
accomplishing its purpose. In that case, one might debate the economics
of trying to remove "all bugs". It kind of leads to the question "How
good is 'good enough'?"

MDC

Marc A. Criley wrote:

> FMO-2 is what I always find problematic. The statement "All software has
> bugs" gets thrown around, and through gritted teeth I have to agree, but too
> often I hear that used an excuse for lack of development rigor. And just
> today I discovered a new term, "software rejuvenation", that addresses FMO-2
> by preemptively and regularly restarting a system
> (http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2004/08/0408Bernstein.html). The
> authors' research shows that it's been used and is effective, but I just
> want to sigh "You're giving up! Fix the bugs!"

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "All reformers, however strict their social conscience,
      live in houses just as big as they can pay for."

          --Logan Pearsall Smith