* Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-15 12:47 Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-15 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In using Gnat 3.15p on Windows with GPS v1.4.0, I encountered a problem
when trying to use the package System. I get a compiler error message
that reads "intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types" in
reference to the following code in System:

   function "<"  (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
    function "<=" (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
    function ">"  (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
    function ">=" (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
    function "="  (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;

    pragma Import (Intrinsic, "<");
    pragma Import (Intrinsic, "<=");
    pragma Import (Intrinsic, ">");
    pragma Import (Intrinsic, ">=");
    pragma Import (Intrinsic, "=");

Commenting out the pragmas get you past this, but then, of course,
everything in the Gnat side that depended on System is officially out of
date. This seems unacceptable as a fix.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix or workaround?

MDC

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "Face it ladies, its not the dress that makes you look fat.
     Its the FAT that makes you look fat."

         --  Al Bundy

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-15 13:12 ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2004-06-15 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
> In using Gnat 3.15p on Windows with GPS v1.4.0, I encountered a problem
> when trying to use the package System. I get a compiler error message
> that reads "intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types" in
> reference to the following code in System:
>
>    function "<"  (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
>     function "<=" (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
>     function ">"  (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
>     function ">=" (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
>     function "="  (Left, Right : Address) return Boolean;
>
>     pragma Import (Intrinsic, "<");
>     pragma Import (Intrinsic, "<=");
>     pragma Import (Intrinsic, ">");
>     pragma Import (Intrinsic, ">=");
>     pragma Import (Intrinsic, "=");
>
> Commenting out the pragmas get you past this, but then, of course,
> everything in the Gnat side that depended on System is officially out of
> date. This seems unacceptable as a fix.

It would also be unacceptable because after commenting out these pragmas,
you would have to provide bodies for these operators.

> Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix or workaround?

I've used 3.14p and 3.3.1, and I have never seen this. It is also more than
a little surprising, for the GNAT version of system has had these
declarations for years.

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-15 18:56 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-06-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> In using Gnat 3.15p on Windows with GPS v1.4.0, I encountered a problem
> when trying to use the package System. I get a compiler error message
> that reads "intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types" in
> reference to the following code in System:

Why are you recompiling System?

--
Jeff Carter
"We'll make Rock Ridge think it's a chicken

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-15 19:16   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-06-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Carter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Marin David Condic wrote:
>
> > In using Gnat 3.15p on Windows with GPS v1.4.0, I encountered a problem
> > when trying to use the package System. I get a compiler error message
> > that reads "intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types" in
> > reference to the following code in System:
>
> Why are you recompiling System?

I think this is a 'feature' of GNAT/GPS. I can't remember the
option off hand (I'll dig it out tomorrow at work - but I think it
had to do with "Mixed_Case"?)

-- Martin

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-15 22:22   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-15 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wasn't. I was compiling something that with-ed System and GPS provided
the subject line error message and presented me with the package System
to edit if I so desired. Playing around with it hosed up the rest of
things, so I just re-installed Gnat and things got back to normal - but
the package System still shows up as having a bug in it.

MDC

@ 2004-06-15 22:25     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-15 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

That could be it. I think I may have specified "Mixed Case" when
starting the new project I was diddling with. I'll go turn that off &
try again, but that really sounds like a bizarre sort of reason why a
package wouldn't compile.

So much for the belief that Ada is going to eliminate bugs in large
systems. :-)

Thanks for the help.

MDC

@ 2004-06-16  5:59       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-06-16  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> That could be it. I think I may have specified "Mixed Case" when
> starting the new project I was diddling with. I'll go turn that off &
> try again, but that really sounds like a bizarre sort of reason why a
> package wouldn't compile.
>
> So much for the belief that Ada is going to eliminate bugs in large
> systems. :-)

I have tried to use Mixes_Case for al while. Personally I am all in favour
of File_Name := Package_Name.

However in GNAT the special naming features are not fully tested (almost no
one uses them) and indeed bug ridden.

Use Mixes_Case and the compiler recompiles the base packages - which does
not work without "-gnata". Don't waste your time - even with  "-gnata"
System is a special case.

You could name every package with GPS - but eventually the system will run
out of internal storrage.

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-16  7:43       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-06-16  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That could be it. I think I may have specified "Mixed Case" when
> starting the new project I was diddling with. I'll go turn that off &
> try again, but that really sounds like a bizarre sort of reason why a
> package wouldn't compile.
>
> So much for the belief that Ada is going to eliminate bugs in large
> systems. :-)
>
> Thanks for the help.

No probs - check your .gps file for "for Casing use "MixedCase";" and
comment it out and try your build again. Please let us know if this
fixes it for you.

Does anyone know if ACT know about this one?

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-16 12:01         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess I don't like it when programming environments (or any software)
tries to "help" me. If I want to use mixed case filenames, I resent the
program automagically "correcting" me and turning them into lower case.
So I wanted to disable that. Unfortunately, I got bitch-slapped for my
efforts. :-)

It still seems like a really high level of coupling to change something
that relates to how filenames are handled and have it start causing
compile errors on system packages. Your explanation starts shedding some
light on it, but it still seems like a flawed design that should be
rectified.

Rest asured, I've already given up on trying to customize the naming and
formatting that GPS does. I guess I can have it in any color I want as
long as its black. ;-)

MDC

@ 2004-06-16 12:10         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-16 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since it was a brandy-new project & relatively small, I just zapped the
file and rebuilt the project allowing GPS to decide for me how I wanted
things to appear. Prior experience with trying to change any of the
pretty-printer options has proven that you either do it the GPS way or
you use a different editor, so I guess I can get over the lower casing
of my filenames. (That could cause problems if I had to share these
files with a Unix system, but right now its just on two different PC
platforms & two different compilers. But that would only start me
whining about conditional compilation and other similar things again, so
I'll stick to whining about what kind of SOBs would put out GPS with
such obvious broken features in the project files... ;-)

I don't know if ACT knows about this one, but I've seen discussion here
about broken pretty-printer capabilities and so I think they know they
have (had?) problems with their project files on the PC side of things.

MDC

@ 2004-06-16 19:29           ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2004-06-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <nobody@noplace.com> writes:

> Since it was a brandy-new project & relatively small, I just zapped
> the file and rebuilt the project allowing GPS to decide for me how I
> wanted things to appear. Prior experience with trying to change any
> of the pretty-printer options has proven that you either do it the
> GPS way or you use a different editor, so I guess I can get over the
> lower casing of my filenames. (That could cause problems if I had to
> share these files with a Unix system, but right now its just on two
> different PC platforms & two different compilers. But that would
> only start me whining about conditional compilation and other
> similar things again, so I'll stick to whining about what kind of
> SOBs would put out GPS with such obvious broken features in the
> project files... ;-)

If you're running on Windows, GNAT doesn't seem to care what case file
names appear in anyway, so you can just go right ahead and mix the
case as you please. Since most of my serious development is Unix-based
I feel no desire to fight GNAT on this one, lower case is good (though
I have to say my GPR file names tend to mixed case, strange psychology
no doubt). It is Very Annoying to find that somebody has used mixed
case file names so that the project won't build on Unix ..

I have to say that GPS's editing environment seems very immature
compared to the latest (supported) emacs ada-mode. But we have
programmers who would rather fire up Notepad than drop their file into
GPS (does it do drag-and-drop?), let alone GLIDE!

Other bits of GPS aren't so bad (sorry, ACT, lots of folk on the team
do like GPS, I must be hidebound or something).

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-17 12:15             ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-17 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

My experience is that GPS will recognize the case-independent names on
Windows just fine. But when you save something that had mixed case
originally, it then zaps it to lower case - presumably "in order to
serve you better..." :-) I find programs that want to change what *I*
wanted into what they *think* I want to be extremely annoying.

MDC

@ 2004-06-18  7:41               ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-06-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My experience is that GPS will recognize the case-independent names on
> Windows just fine. But when you save something that had mixed case
> originally, it then zaps it to lower case - presumably "in order to
> serve you better..." :-) I find programs that want to change what *I*
> wanted into what they *think* I want to be extremely annoying.

That's probably because that's what you asked it to do though you may
not have realised it at the time! When you create a new project there is
a "name scene" options page and the default is 'lower case' (with options
for 'UPPERCASE' and 'MixedCase'). 100% of the time I have used
GPS I have never changed this option. In fact I doubt I've ever considered
using it.

I still don't understand what the problem is with it trying to recompile
system (its filename is in lower case anyway).

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-18 11:51                 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, I asked it to let me set my file names with any case I wanted. (Like
turning off the stupid paperclip) When I did, the program ceased to work
in even a moderately acceptable manner. (Like if turning off the stupid
paperclip caused you to be unable to actually save any files you had
edited.) So I didn't really ask it to do that. An "option" you can only
set one way isn't really much of an "option" is it? ;-)

Its a very bizarre kind of bug though. You'd think that file name
character case choices shouldn't have any connection to determining out
of date-ness of compiler supplied libraries, much less force the program
to try to compile them in some mode that it can't get through
successfully. (If specific compiler options are required, would it be
better for those options to be specified as some equivalent pragma
inside the file?)

MDC

@ 2004-06-18 13:14                   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-06-18 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No, I asked it to let me set my file names with any case I wanted.

Ah, then you are using a version I've never seen before... but it has the
same bug...

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-19  8:29                     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2004-06-19  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought that is what "Mixed Case" was all about. Am I misunderstanding?

MDC

@ 2004-06-19 10:07                       ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-06-19 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought that is what "Mixed Case" was all about. Am I misunderstanding?

I think maybe I am :-) I perhaps took your phrase "any casing I wanted" too
literally.

Perhaps the other thing to try, is to add "System" to the "exceptions" on
the file name convension page?

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Gnat Error: intrinsic operator can only apply to numeric types
@ 2004-06-20  0:29                   ` Pylinius
From: Pylinius @ 2004-06-20  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:
> No, I asked it to ....

Move on. This was likely a feature that a specific customer asked for
and it probably worked for them in a way that suited them.

Ask for version 2.0 if you want to get the latest.