From: Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Why can't I override these functions?
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 08:15:56 +0200
Date: 2004-05-08T08:15:56+02:00	[thread overview]

Bjï¿œrn Persson wrote:

> Georg Bauhaus wrote:
>
>> Bjï¿œrn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> wrote:
>>
>> : extracted-discrete_parameters.ads:19:09: type must be declared abstract
>> : or "Meaning" overridden
>>
>> FWIW, two things remove the complaint:
>> 1/ removing private-ness
>
> Hmm, yes. And I only have to remove private-ness in the parent package.
> How odd. (As if the whole thing weren't extremely odd already.)

It is not odd. When the keyword "tagged" is only inside the private section
then the "tag is hidden". Only child packages can see the tag and can
extend the class.

Remember, you can split the type into two parts: A partial public
specification and a full private specification.

> I want to avoid that of course. I would rather eliminate
> Intermediate_Definition and derive directly from Parameter_Definition
> (which also removes the complaint). It would increase code duplication,
> but that's preferrable to making things public that should be private.

The partial pubic and full private specification can inherit from different
classes of the same class hirachie.

With Regards

Martin
--