From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: New ACM challenge is language-discriminatory
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:26:08 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2009-12-18T08:26:08-08:00	[thread overview]

On Dec 18, 3:26 am, Jean-Pierre Rosen <ro...@adalog.fr> wrote:
> ACM has launched a new programming challenge:http://queue.acm.org/icpc/index.cfm?page=faq
>
> However, the only languages allowed are C++, C# and Java.
> I could understand reasons for having everyone compete with the same
> language, but if more than one is allowed, it should be open to all
> (including our favorite language, of course ;-) ).

"All"?  Georg implied that they may not have the staff to look at Ada
solutions, but I'm sure that they at least have a few people there
that can understand it; there have got to be tons of other obscure
programming languages that nobody there would be able to understand.
Plus, are any of the judges going to be enthusiastic about looking at
a Forth program, or at an APL program that someone wrote in one line
just to prove that they could?? :)

So some discrimination seems necessary---the line has to be drawn
somewhere.  Too bad they drew it on the wrong side of our language.

                               -- Adam