* Embedded tools
       [not found] <20040304182014.14B1F4C40DA@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-03-04 18:59 ` Carroll-Tech
From: Carroll-Tech @ 2004-03-04 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Is there a special compiler and package(s) for embedded programming with
Ada?

Andrew Carroll
Carroll-Tech
720-273-6814
andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Re: Embedded tools
@ 2004-03-04 19:34   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-03-04 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Carroll-Tech" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> wrote in message
> Is there a special compiler and package(s) for embedded programming with
> Ada?

Whats your target h/w?
Are you planning on using a particular OS?

* Re: Embedded tools
@ 2004-03-05  3:10   ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-03-05  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are several.

What host/target are you looking for?

Steve
(The Duck)

"Carroll-Tech" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> wrote in message
> Is there a special compiler and package(s) for embedded programming with
> Ada?
>
> Andrew Carroll
> Carroll-Tech
> 720-273-6814
> andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Embedded Tools
       [not found] <20040305093328.112234C412C@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-03-05 20:06 ` Carroll-Tech
From: Carroll-Tech @ 2004-03-05 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> ------------------------------
> From: "Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com>
> Subject: Re: Embedded tools
>
> Whats your target h/w?
> Are you planning on using a particular OS?

> ------------------------------
> From: "Steve" <nospam_steved94@comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: Embedded tools
>
> There are several.
>
> What host/target are you looking for?

Well, I bought some robotics books (on sale for 1.00$).  In it they use a
16f84 Microcontroller.  That is an "embedded" technology right?

Then it dawned on me that I've seen many, many job openings
for embedded programmers using Ada.  And that tells me that
Ada is the "native" language for "some" processor and that there
is a compiler and libraries/package specs and implementation that might
help me answer other questions.

So, I guess, for comparative reasons and having the books I bought the
target is a 16f84 microcontroller.  I just want to look in the specs and
implementation of the libraries to program embedded "things" with Ada.

Thanks!

* Re: Embedded Tools
@ 2004-03-05 23:54   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2004-03-05 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carroll-Tech wrote:

> Well, I bought some robotics books (on sale for 1.00$).  In it they use a
> 16f84 Microcontroller.  That is an "embedded" technology right?
>
> Then it dawned on me that I've seen many, many job openings
> for embedded programmers using Ada.  And that tells me that
> Ada is the "native" language for "some" processor and that there
> is a compiler and libraries/package specs and implementation that might
> help me answer other questions.
>
> So, I guess, for comparative reasons and having the books I bought the
> target is a 16f84 microcontroller.  I just want to look in the specs and
> implementation of the libraries to program embedded "things" with Ada.
>
> Thanks!

Ada is a high-level language.  It is not the 'native language' (aka machine
language) for any particular processor.
There has to be a compiler that translates the high level Ada statements into
the machine code of a given processor. Unfortunately, there is not such a
compiler for most of the common 8-bit and 16-bit microprocessors or
microcontrollers such as the PIC 16F84.  There are compilers for processors
such as the 80486, 60040, PowerPC, etc. and host compilers for Windows
machines.  It would be nice if there were more cross-compilers (one that runs
on a machine like a PC and generates code for some other processor) for some
of these smaller microcontrollers but so far that is not the case.

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey   -   Senior Principal Systems Engineer
-- Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems  - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: Embedded Tools
@ 2004-03-06 19:47   ` Bernd Trog
From: Bernd Trog @ 2004-03-06 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Carroll-Tech" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> wrote in message
> So, I guess, for comparative reasons and having the books I bought the
> target is a 16f84 microcontroller.  I just want to look in the specs and
> implementation of the libraries to program embedded "things" with Ada.

Try Atmel's AT90S2313. (2kByte Flash, 128 Byte SRAM in a DIL-20 package)

You can download a patch for gcc-3.3.2 here:
http://avr-ada.sourceforge.net/

If you are new to Ada, I'd suggest to try compiling some small
host-apps first.