* somewhat OT: another source of errors
@ 2004-01-16 21:59 Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-01-16 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

while a stage1 gcc is taking much too long for compiling
sem_prag.adb (as of the 20040114 snapshot), I find this article
(in de-CH language)
http://www.onlinereports.ch/Archiv/Aktualitaeten/Aktualitaeten_2004_01.htm#anchorBrueckeLaufenburg

A newly built bridge to be joined above the river Rhine between
Switzerland and Germany has a height difference of 27cm between the
sides (or, according to a news paper, of 54cm). The difference is
said to be due to differing ways of referring to sea level in
Switzerland and Germany respectively.  It is the Mediterranean sea
in Switzerland, and the North Sea in Germany.

--  Georg

* Re: somewhat OT: another source of errors
@ 2004-01-17 13:55 ` Steffen Huber
From: Steffen Huber @ 2004-01-17 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> while a stage1 gcc is taking much too long for compiling
> sem_prag.adb (as of the 20040114 snapshot), I find this article
> (in de-CH language)
> http://www.onlinereports.ch/Archiv/Aktualitaeten/Aktualitaeten_2004_01.htm#anchorBrueckeLaufenburg
>
> A newly built bridge to be joined above the river Rhine between
> Switzerland and Germany has a height difference of 27cm between the
> sides (or, according to a news paper, of 54cm). The difference is
> said to be due to differing ways of referring to sea level in
> Switzerland and Germany respectively.  It is the Mediterranean sea
> in Switzerland, and the North Sea in Germany.

Actually, they *knew* that their way to refer to sea level is different
(27 cm), so they corrected it - but in the wrong direction, resulting
in a difference of 2*27 cm = 54 cm now ;-)

Steffen

--
steffen.huber@gmx.de               steffen@huber-net.de
GCC for RISC OS  - http://www.arcsite.de/hp/gcc/