* Re: Documenting an Object Oriented Design
       [not found] <NEWTNews.844.798261775.cjames@cec-services-01>
@ 1995-04-18  0:00 ` cjames
From: cjames @ 1995-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <NEWTNews.844.798261775.cjames@cec-services-01>,
<cjames@envisionet.net> writes:
> From: cjames@envisionet.net
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
> Subject: Re: Documenting an Object Oriented Design
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 95 20:21:11 PDT
>

> In article <8849291418041995/A29581/RIT2/1194939D3100*@MHS>,

> <WILLIAM.FENTY@REUTERS.COM> writes:
> > Hello,

> > I have a question. I have seen a lot of Information on Object Oriented

> > Design and Object Oriented Languages. Does anyone know where I might

> > find information on how to document an object oriented design?

> > Thanks...

> > Bill Fenty

> > william.fenty@reuters.com

> The one used in Europe now with success is Business Object Notation [BON].
>
> See the FAQ for comp.lang.eiffel for details of the 1995 book.

The book is by Kim Walden and Jean-Marc Nerson.  "Seamless Object-Oriented
Software Architecture : Analysis and Design of Reliable Systems".  1995.
Prentice Hall (UK).  ISBN:  0-13-031303-3.

This book is already in its second printing.  The methodology is supported by
EiffelCASE from Interactive Software Engineering, Inc (Bertrand Meyer's company)
at (805) 685 - 1006.  ISE also probably has the book above for sale and Meyer's
latest book "Object Success" which is surely to be a best seller in the field.

The advantage of BON is that assertions can be checked with predicate logic to
validate the correctness of the design.  Of the 40-50 other methodologies, none
do this.  The Walden and Nerson book also details why the following methods have
defective logic, ie can be amibiguous and hence invalid:  Jim Rumbaugh's OMT, Chen
et al's ER, and Grady's Booch Method.

* Re: Documenting an Object Oriented Design
       [not found] <8849291418041995/A29581/RIT2/1194939D3100*@MHS>
@ 1995-04-21  0:00 ` Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1995-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Fenty (516) 233-6845 (WILLIAM.FENTY@REUTERS.COM) wrote:

: I have a question. I have seen a lot of Information on Object Oriented
: Design and Object Oriented Languages. Does anyone know where I might
: find information on how to document an object oriented design?

Regardless of the design method, the artifacts produced during the
design _are_ the documentation.

--
Bob Kitzberger	        +1 (916) 274-3075	        rlk@rational.com
Rational Software Corp., 10565 Brunswick Rd. #11, Grass Valley, CA 95945