  • * Re: No top schools use Ada
           [not found] <3mq0jd$r10@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com>
           [not found] ` <3n10sv$i97@gopher.cs.uofs.edu>
    @ 1995-04-19  0:00 ` Kenneth Almquist
           [not found] ` <NEWTNews.27781.798049024.ir001168@cec-services-01>
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
    From: Kenneth Almquist @ 1995-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    jmartin@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com (Jay M Martin) writes:
    > Lets look at which languages the top CS department use for their first
    > class:

    According to the full list (summarized by Richard Pattis in comp.edu),
    the most widely used language for CS1 is Pascal (36%).  Ada is in second
    place with 17.5%, C is fifth with 8.6%, and C++ is sixth with 6.5%.  The
    fact that none of the nine schools listed by Jay Martin use Ada for their
    first class is not statisticly significant.

    The use of C, however, is statisticly significant (P <= 0.05, barely).
    If one wants to try to read anything into this preference for C, it is
    important to keep in mind that the CS departments listed by Jay Martin are
    the ones with top ranked *graduate* programs.  Graduate program rankings
    mainly reflect the quality of the research done at the department.
    				Kenneth Almquist

  • [parent not found: <NEWTNews.27781.798049024.ir001168@cec-services-01>]
  • * Re: Which first-course languages? (was: What schools use Eiffel (was: No top schools use Ada)) ?
           [not found] <3mq0jd$r10@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com>
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
           [not found] ` <NEWTNews.27781.798049024.ir001168@cec-services-01>
    @ 1995-04-20  0:00 ` Spencer Allain
           [not found] ` <D759Az.GHM@cs.fredonia.edu>
    From: Spencer Allain @ 1995-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    In article <jyaxda@bmtech.demon.co.uk> scottw@bmtech.demon.co.uk (Scott Wheeler) writes:

       In Article <3n35ja$6u3@theopolis.orl.mmc.com> Theodore Dennison
       writes:
       >>Miranda????
       >>Languages are kind of a hobby with me, but I have NEVER heard of that
       >>one [Miranda].

       Obscure functional language, as you know now. I had to interview
       someone yesterday, who's CS course had used only Miranda, Modula-2 and
       Oberon (Imperial College, London). I think it's an excellent idea to
       teach using some of these languages (I'm quite keen on Eiffel myself),
       but we wouldn't even have considered employing him if he hadn't learnt
       C under his own steam.

       Diverging a little from the subject, could I also put in a plea for
       anyone designing CS courses to include a little time (couple of days)
       on the underlying machine representations? Three times now, I've had CS
       graduates or doctors complaining that their compilers are broken, and
       found that they were comparing floating point numbers for equality.

       Scott

    Ok, so maybe I'm going to get flamed for this, but as a student who used
    Modula-2 for all the "real" projects in college, and only took C so I
    could learn its disgusting syntax just in case some employer wouldn't
    even had considered me without "C knowledge", I have to make a statement.

    This is not a personal attack on Scott Wheeler, I don't know him and I hold
    no grudge against him, I just want to point out a few things that irk me
    about industry.

    I'm hoping that the only reason for the statement

       but we wouldn't even have considered employing him if he hadn't learnt
       C under his own steam.

    was because the job involved real-time systems where every millisecond
    counts or the company didn't want to invest a couple of weeks teaching
    a new person the syntax of a particular language.

    This is where the comments about C being fundamentally different than
    other languages start getting flung around.  I learned all I needed to
    about C _before_ I even took the course in it.  I had taken Assembly
    Programming previously, and everyone knows that C was just supposed
    to be a "portable" assembly, and it does that pretty well, if you
    don't mind abusing the pre-processor.

    It is possible to do almost everything in Modula-2 that you can in C.
    I don't know the specifics of what you can't do, but they are very
    minimal.  Of course, Modula-2 was never ported to many systems, and is
    probably the main reason as to why it never flew.  I'm not trying to
    say that C is evil, just that companies that hire strictly on the
    basis of knowledge of C are just looking to shoot themselves in the
    foot.

    Actually, anyone who enjoys working with Eiffel, should be thankful for
    Modula-2 as many of the concepts came from there, not C.

    I'm sure that I've sown the seeds for a language war, but I hope they
    never grow.  I don't hate C, or love Modula-2 for that matter.  For
    different tasks, one or the other is superior, but I just despise
    the thought of companies that believe one language is the end-it-all
    and won't even consider hiring people if they don't know it.

    Personally, I've found that individuals who have a background in many
    languages (ie. different types of thinking) are generally "better"
    programmers.  They may not be able to optimize a loop as well as a
    hacker who really knows one language, but they often find a way to
    remove the loop completely by using a different concept.

    I've said too much already, and I apologize to whomever actually read
    this far.  This has little to do with comp.lang.{eiffel,ada} and
    barely anything to do with comp.edu (too bad I don't get comp.edu), but
    it had to be said.

    If you have any flames, please send them to me <spencer@era.com>.
    Constructive criticism should be the only thing reposted to the net.

    -Spencer Allain
    Software Engineer
    Engineering Research Associates
    Vienna, VA  22182

  • * Re: What schools use Eiffel ?
           [not found] <3mq0jd$r10@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com>
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
    @ 1995-04-21  0:00 ` Madison Cloutier
           [not found] ` <D759Az.GHM@cs.fredonia.edu>
    From: Madison Cloutier @ 1995-04-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Here is a partial list which I am aware of:

    	College of the Holy Cross, USA
    	Dickeson College, USA
    	Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
    	Kalamazoo College, USA
    	Hartford Graduate Center, USA
    	School of Computer Sciences, Australia
    	Stanford University, USA
    	UC Berkeley, USA
    	Brown University, USA
    	Monash University, Australia
    	University of British Columbia, USA
    	University of Colorado, USA
    	Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany
    	University of Wisconsin, USA
    	University of Sherbrooke, Canada
    	University of Strathclyde, Scotland
    	University of Wales, UK