* Re: need Ada compiler for PC please
       [not found] <1995Apr4.002510.36113@nova.wright.edu>
@ 1995-04-05  0:00 ` Dave Retherford
From: Dave Retherford @ 1995-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1995Apr4.002510.36113@nova.wright.edu>,
GLEN HORTON - Automation Services, WSU Libraries <ghorton@nova.wright.edu> wrote:
> I am looking for a freeware or a shareware Ada compiler for the PC (DOS).
> I am using the DEC Ada compiler on a unix system for a class and would like
> to be able to develop my programs on my PC.  Any suggestions would be great.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Glen
>  ghorton@nova.wright.edu

Glen,

You did not state if you wanted Ada83 or Ada95 compilers.  The difference
is Ada95 is now an International Standards Organization (ISO) standard.
The _first_ and, currently, _ONLY_ Object-Oriented Language standard
(despite what the C++ people would have you believe ;-).  Below is a list
of FTP sites where you can get Ada compilers.  Note that the Ada95 GNAT
compiler, while available, is not public domain, but rather distributed
under the GNU License (did I get it right this time Robert :-? ).

Below is a list of U.S. based sites (at least the major ones) for getting
either Ada83 or Ada95 compilers.

Hope this helps.

Dave

-- -------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the sites which have Ada compilers.  I have only expanded the
directories for GNAT since it is a compiler (the compiler) for Ada 95, the
choice of a new Ada generation :-).

(As of 2/27/95)

-- United States/North American sites

* cs.nyu.edu

    /pub/gnat

    -- main site (development site also) for distribution on GNAT (Ada 95)
    -- compiler which is hosted for _lots_ of platforms.  The features file
    -- gives a list and  description of the Ada 95 language implemented so
    -- far for various platforms along with what hasn't been done, or remains
    -- to be implemented.

        1112775 Feb 24 17:24    gnat-2.03-dos-bin-disk1.zip
        1399897 Feb 24 17:24    gnat-2.03-dos-bin-disk2.zip
        508623  Feb 24 17:25    gnat-2.03-dos-bin-disk3.zip
        18924   Feb 24 17:30    README-ftp
        1036602 Dec 12 22:51    djgpp-1.12m2-dos-bin.zip
        5946    Jan 26 19:17    features

* wuarchive.wustl.edu

    -- (This is the PAL - Public Ada Library; well actually the directory
    -- below is :-).  Below is the directory structure for the Ada compiler
    -- directory, and a breakdown of the GNAT compiler directory.

    /languages/ada/compiler

    -- top directory for Ada 83 and Ada 95 compilers/interpreters
    -- the follwoing directories contain various Ada83 or Ada95 compilers
    -- supporting files

        drwxr-xr-x   3 archiver archive       512 Dec 18 17:53 gnat

            -- Ada 95 GNU Ada Translatore (GNAT) [mirror of cs.nyu.edu]
            -- (Don't let the name fool you; this is a real compiler that
            -- utilizes the GNU gcc as its backend.)

        drwxr-xr-x   4 archiver archive       512 Nov 21 04:27 adaed

            -- Ada 83: two versions; 1) original NYU and 2) GW version
            -- (Note:  GW - George Washington University.  Home of Prof.
            --  Michael Feldman, et al.  Purveyors of add-ons to the
            -- original NYU adaed.)

        drwxr-xr-x   4 archiver archive       512 Nov 21 04:28 avlada9x

            -- Ada 95 compiler from ?? {some one want to help me out here.
            -- I can't remember where this is from, although I saw it posted
            -- a couple of times.

        drwxr-xr-x   4 archiver archive       512 Nov 21 04:26 smallada

            -- another Ada 83 compiler
	    -- (not really familiar with it)

    /languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib/

    -- (Mirror of cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat)
    -- files for GNAT (Ada 95) are listed below.  Included are distributions
    -- for most platforms.

* ftp.cdrom.com

    /pub/languages/ada/compiler/

    -- Mirror of wuarchive/PAL (see above)

| Dave Retherford                 | "Remember this:  While somebody is    |
|  Daver@Starbase.Neosoft.com     | is down there kissin' your butt,      |
|  Dave_Retherford@hso.link.com   | they could just as easily be bitin'   |
|       (work)                    | it too."  -- Forestt Gump             |

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-04-05  0:00 UTC | newest]