From: rculloty@aol.com (RCulloty)
Subject: Re: Ada/Windows advice (Alsys ActivAda)
Date: 1995/04/02
Date: 1995-04-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

     Ummm, good luck.  To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any books
out
there on Programming Windows in Ada.  I'm trying to trudge through it
myself,
and I bought the book called "Programming Windows 3.1" from Microsoft
Press writted by Charles Petzold.  It's a good book on programming
Windows, even though it covers 16-bit Windows programming, not Win32.
Most of the function calls have remained the same so you will still find
it to be a good reference book.
Beware that all the examples in the book are in C.  Looking at that ugly
syntax will start to make your head spin after a while, but it isn't too
difficult to translate to Ada.
     Also, remember that Alsys is kind enough to provide all the package
specs to their Win32 binding with the compiler.  They are located in the
directory "alsys\tools\win32s" on your harddrive.  Having those comes in
handy when your trying to make a Windows function call and you don't know
what format to use.
     If you've tried to use the Codeview debugger and your like me and you
gave up on it, do yourself a favor and ftp to "ftp.microsoft.com" and
change directories into "Softlib\MSLFILES" and leech the file called
"WIN32SPY.EXE".  That debugger is 10 times as easy to use than the
Codeview thingy.

Ryan J Culloty
rculloty@aol.com