* Re: Returning to Ada
@ 1995-03-29  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1995-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ballj@ibm.net wrote:

: I am returning to the world of Ada programming after a break of three and
: a half years.  When I last used the language it was dying a slow death
: because the mainstream computing world hadn't took to it as was expected.
: Is the use of Ada still common only to Defence and Aerospace applications ?

It has branched out into other areas, including ground transportation
systems, medical instrumentation, commercial transaction processing
systems, simulation, etc.

: What has happened about Ada 9X ? and what are the prospects for future
: development.

Ada 9X is complete, and is now called "Ada 95."  It is an official ISO
standard as of February 15, 1995 (ISO/IEC-8652:1995(E)).

There is a nearly complete Ada 95 compiler available for free,
based on the FSF/GNU backend technology and a new front end
written in Ada 95.  It is available by anonymous FTP from cs.nyu.edu,
in pub/gnat/...

: ... OK the real question is "Is this a good career move ?"

We hope so!  Stay tuned to comp.lang.ada to find out...

To learn more, browse http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

:                            John Ball

-Tucker Taft   stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.

* Returning to Ada
@ 1995-03-29  5:46 ballj
From: ballj @ 1995-03-29  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am returning to the world of Ada programming after a break of three and
a half years.  When I last used the language it was dying a slow death
because the mainstream computing world hadn't took to it as was expected.
Is the use of Ada still common only to Defence and Aerospace applications ?
What has happened about Ada 9X ? and what are the prospects for future
development.  OK the real question is "Is this a good career move ?"

                           John Ball

* Re: Returning to Ada
@ 1995-03-30  0:00   ` Fraser Wilson
From: Fraser Wilson @ 1995-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

paene lacrimavi quand stt@spock.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft) explicavit:

>Ada 9X is complete, and is now called "Ada 95."  It is an official ISO
>standard as of February 15, 1995 (ISO/IEC-8652:1995(E)).

Hey, that's my birthday!  Wow.

regards (and apologies, but I just had to say it),
Fraser.