From: lotu@wam.umd.edu (Arcadio Alivio Sincero)
Subject: GNAT for OS/2 and general GNU questions ...
Date: 25 Mar 1995 06:55:22 GMT
Date: 1995-03-25T06:55:22+00:00	[thread overview]

Just got GNAT for OS/2 today ... actually I just got through installing
OS/2 itself the other day .. so not only am I new to OS/2 programming, I
am new to OS/2 itself.

Anyhow .. is there a GENERAL FAQ sheet on GNU compilers in general?  I'm
a little confused as how they work.  They're obviously very different from
the usual DOS-based compilers I've used.  Are the Ada95, Fortran, and
soon-to-be Extended Pascal GNU compilers merely TRANSLATORS to C or
something?  It seems that ALL the GNU compilers I've come across are all
invoked using the GCC program.  And I thought GCC was a C/C++ compiler.
Could somebody fill me in or direct me to a FAQ sheet?

Also, is there a full screen, source level debugger available for GNAT?
Sort of like how Turbo Debugger is available for Borland Pascal and C?
I've come across the DOS version of what appears to be a source level
debugger ... I think it's called GDB or something .. except it's not full
screen.  More like DOS's DEBUG.COM or Microsoft's SYMDEB ... command-line
oriented ... yuck ..don't like those kinds at all.  I think there was a
full-screen debugger available for DOS which debugged C programs at the
source code level ... it was called LadyBug or something ... is there
something like that available for OS/2 only for Ada95?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me.  I was just fiddiling
with the GNAT package tonight .. and so far I've been turned off by it
.. maybe because it's just so different from what I'm used to .. perhaps
somebody out there can clue me in?

Arcadio
lotu@wam.umd.edu