From: dkurfis@enet.net
Subject: Re: Higher precision and generics
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 01:05:00 PST
Date: 1995-03-20T01:05:00-08:00	[thread overview]

To anyone confused by my previous post:

	Earlier today, Keith Thompson pointed out that my interpretation of
the "digits" part of a floating-point type definition was incorrect.  Keith
is absolutely right.  My interpretation has always been "digits to the right
of the decimal point".  The correct interpretation renders much of my

	I've been stewing over this today, wondering how I could have made
such a gross error all these years.  Since I'm still using Ada83, I still
use MIL-STD-1815A as my primary reference.  Paragraph 3.5.7, part 6, states
that the static expression for digits "...is the minimum number of decimal
digits required after the point in the decimal mantissa...".  What I
(obviously) failed to notice when I learned the language several years ago
is that the previous paragraph had defined "mantissa" to be normalized.
When I saw this today, I realized where my error came from.

	Anyway, I hope this didn't cause anyone too much confusion, and I
want to thank Keith Thompson for pointing out my error.  This is exactly
what I expect this forum to be all about, even if I'm the one being
corrected.  Thanks.

						Dan Kurfis