From: tmoran@bix.com
Subject: Ada Only for Government Agencies?
Date: 19 Mar 1995 20:41:17 GMT
Date: 1995-03-19T20:41:17+00:00	[thread overview]

In <3kfivl$8i8@felix.seas.gwu.edu> Michael Feldman wrote:
>or Barings Bank (:-)) would be this open?

Last year I did a project for a futures trading firm (not Barings)
using Ada.  It basically was merging multiple sources of stock
market histories, cleaning out the junk, filling in the gaps,
detecting the splits, company name changes, etc.  Ada tasking was
useful for displaying time series graphs with blinking highlighting
differences etc while asynchronously scanning through the database.
Fixed point allowed convenient handling of scaling factors (eg, 1/8s
etc).  And of course readability, modularity, etc all helped.  The
*big* benefit though, was in the many times a Constraint Error
caught some value that had gone off scale (due to junk data or
multiple splits, for instance), and the debugging convenience of an
unhandled exception message giving the line number so I could find
and defend against each source of bizarreness in future runs.

This msg is probably the total publicity that non-government
project will ever receive.