From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: ada compiler for os/2
Date: 18 Mar 1995 19:51:18 -0500
Date: 1995-03-18T19:51:18-05:00	[thread overview]

General comment on GNAT installation.

One thing that GNAT lacks is a smooth bullet-proof installation procedure.
This is particularly noticeable on DOS and OS/2, where the standard is
to expect such procedures (on Unix, crufty installation procedures are
more familiar).

Certainly we will try to improve this sometime, but it is not our
highest priority.

Meanwhile it needs to be emphasized that the instructions should be
followed CAREFULLY TO THE LETTER.

Nearly all (well over 95%) of all installtion problem reports stem from
people not following the directions carefully. Either they just haven't
read carefully, or, surprisingly frequently, people figure they know better
and can skip or change a step, and mess themselves up doing so.

Certainly we have occasional exceptions where there are real installation
problems, but if everyone will follow the installation directions
carefully, they will save themselves time and frustration!