From: Theodore Dennison <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
To: ab@captblood.armstrong.edu
Subject: Re: Graphical interface for Ada programs
Date: 17 Mar 1995 18:00:36 GMT
Date: 1995-03-17T18:00:36+00:00	[thread overview]

() <ab@captblood.armstrong.edu> wrote:

> I would like to build a graphical interface to an
> Ada program. The interface would have the usual buttons,
> menus, multiple choices, as well as edit subwindows and a
> animated display subwindow.
>
> What do you use for such a combination? Are there any
> PD packagages that provide some/all of these
> interface-design objects?

If you are developing a GUI, I cannot highly enough suggest a GUI builder.
If you can't afford a GUI builder, and you are running under MOTIF, my next
best suggestion is to use UIL. It is another "language" to use, but it
allows you to tweak the appearance of the GUI without having to recompile
and link your application. It also removes all those grisly widget creation
calls from your Ada code. A UIL compiler comes with every implementation of
MOTIF. The only other thing required to use UIL from your Ada programs is a
set of X and Motif bindings.

I haven't used UIL with the GNAT compiler (yet), so I will have to let
others speak to the availability of X and MOTIF bindings.

T.E.D.