From: jhoward@solar.sky.net (John Howard)
Subject: Re: OpenGL bindings for Ada
Date: 14 Mar 1995 21:34:11 GMT
Date: 1995-03-14T21:34:11+00:00	[thread overview]

Paula Womack (womack@tessera.asd.sgi.com) wrote:
: In article <3jvmvk$t2g@adm09.iac.honeywell.com>,
: Chip Richards <richards@eng.iac.honeywell.com> wrote:
: >Paula Womack (womack@tessera.asd.sgi.com) wrote:
: >
: > >  SGI is working on Ada bindings for OpenGL but we haven't released
: > >  them yet.
: >Soon, we hope!  Thanks for the reply, Paula.  I have received a number of
: >inquiries asking what I've found, so there are apparently a considerable
: >number of people waiting to use the bindings.
: >
: > >  They will be available in a future release of sampleGL that we
: > >  distribute to OpenGL licensees.
: >
: >I hope they will be as widely publicized as the C API is, and not just
: >revealed to licensees.  Otherwise, Ada folks will make their own best
: >guesses
: >as to an OpenGL Ada interface spec, and it will differ from the "official"
: >one, and that would be bad for everyone.  Please tell us that you
: >didn't mean "available *only* in a future relase of sampleGL"!

: No, I didn't mean that. We can make the specs publicly available as soon as
: they have been released to licensees and the OpenGL ARB has approved them.

: Paula
:  womack@sgi.com        415-390-1946         MS 8U-590
:  2011 N. Shoreline Blvd, Mountain View, CA 94039-7311

The IBM Developer's Connection CD #6 for OS/2 contains an OpenGL
interface specification.  Would it be illegal if I were to write and
distribute an Ada95 library which documented those OpenGL calls?  I need
to know in advance of having done so.  My limited understanding is that
IBM will provide the licensed OpenGL binding with OS/2 later.  The DevCon CD
just gives OS/2 developers a headstart by providing the OpenGL specs.