From: bishopm@source.asset.com (Michael M. Bishop)
Subject: Type extension with GNAT
Date: 13 Mar 1995 17:22:28 -0500
Date: 1995-03-13T17:22:28-05:00	[thread overview]

I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful replies to my original
post on this subject. I've finally figured out what you guys were trying
to tell me! I decided to replace my constructor function with a
procedure (Create), which solved my original problem. I also realized
that when deriving from a tagged type, one does not say

type Three_D_Point_Type is private;

and then define the type extension in the private part, but rather

type Three_D_Point_Type is new Two_D_Point_Type with private;

and then elaborate the type extension in the private part. With that
little bit of business behind me, I was able to successfully code and
test my Two_D_Point_Package, Three_D_Point_Package, and even a
Four_D_Point_Package! This has been a good day.
--
| Mike Bishop              | The opinions expressed here reflect    |
| bishopm@source.asset.com | those of this station, its management, |