* Re: ADA FUNCTIONS TO PROCEDURES
@ 1995-03-10 15:56 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-03-10 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: ADA FUNCTIONS TO PROCEDURES
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> writes:

>Can you tell us, just for curiosity, why anyone would want such a tool?
>I would be surprised if one exists, because I can't see any legitimate use
>for it!

I'd be inclined to agree, except for one possible issue.
Depending on the compiler, target hardware, etc. it's concievable
that there might be more overhead associated with a function call
than a procedure call. In some applications where you might be
fighting for every microsecond, even a relatively small savings
in overhead might make it worth the effort. That way, you can
program with the "function" call where it makes good programming
sense, yet do a conversion prior to compilation to squeeze a few
extra ergs out of the application.

Of course, I don't know if that's the issue here - just a guess
as to why someone *might* want to find such a tool.

Pax,
Marin
Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    Please send responses to one of the addresses in this trailer.
    A "reply" to the address in the message header will bounce.
   "If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."

        -- Calvin Coolidge

* ADA FUNCTIONS TO PROCEDURES
@ 1995-03-08  3:24 Tuan Anh Nguyen
From: Tuan Anh Nguyen @ 1995-03-08  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm looking for a utility program that would allow me to convert all
functions into procedures.
For example:

functions equal(Left:  in int;
                Right: in int) return Boolean;