* Linking problems...
@ 1995-03-10 15:00 Chris O'Regan
From: Chris O'Regan @ 1995-03-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I tried compiling some of my schoolwork with OS/2 Gnat 2.03, but I have
run into a few problems.  I compiled my units without any problems, however
when I tried to link everthing, I received the following errors:

[E:\tmp]gcc -c main.adb

[E:\tmp]gnatbl main.ali
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\a-caldel.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\a-caldel.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\a-caldel.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\a-caldel.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\s-tastim.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\s-tastim.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment
e:\EMX\GNATLIB\s-tatise.o: Undefined symbol ___ucmpdi2 referenced from text
segment

[E:\tmp]

   This program is very simple.  It's a simple bounded buffer problem, with
a "printer" task to handle screen output.

   Any suggestions?

Chris

* Re: Linking problems...
@ 1995-03-11 17:30 ` Chris O'Regan
From: Chris O'Regan @ 1995-03-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jppiv$btr@newsflash.concordia.ca>

CO := Chris O'Regan <ct_oreg@vega.concordia.ca>

CO>   I tried compiling some of my schoolwork with OS/2 Gnat 2.03, but I have
CO>run into a few problems.  I compiled my units without any problems, however
CO>when I tried to link everthing, I received the following errors:

[Error messages Deleted]

   I have uncovered the solution to my problem myself.  :-)  A patch has
been uploaded to cs.nyu.edu which should fix my problem with the "Undefined
symbol __ucmpdi2".

Chris

* Re: Linking problems...
@ 1995-03-12  3:43 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris O'Regan, please send trouble reports using GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu
as specified in the documentation.

Actually it is clear that you have not read the documentation, since it reminds
you to be sure to pick up the latest version of the readme if you run into
problems. I you had done so, you would have found that the problem you
reported has been found and fixed, and you can either pick up a complete
new version, or you can follow the directions and pick up the necessary
updates and apply them to your version.

This problem incidentally comes from the fact that the EMX library is
incomplete. We are not quite sure how this happened and are investigating,
but meanwhile we did track down versions of the missing routines.

* Re: Linking problems...
@ 1995-03-12 17:39   ` Chris O'Regan
From: Chris O'Regan @ 1995-03-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jtqkp$6dh@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>

RD := Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu>

RD>Chris O'Regan, please send trouble reports using GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu
RD>as specified in the documentation.

   I did not know that this was a bug in the early release of GNAT.  I
thought the error was caused by me missing a link option of some sort.

RD>Actually it is clear that you have not read the documentation, since it reminds
RD>you to be sure to pick up the latest version of the readme if you run into
RD>problems. I you had done so, you would have found that the problem you
RD>reported has been found and fixed, and you can either pick up a complete
RD>new version, or you can follow the directions and pick up the necessary
RD>updates and apply them to your version.

   Sorry, but I could not download the latest version of the README nor the
fix because they were *not* available when I uncovered the bug!  I did
followed-up my article when I found the fix.  *Sheesh*  I am not an idiot,
like you make me out to be.

Chris O'Regan
Computer Engineering,
Concordia University,
Montreal, Canada.

* Re: Linking problems...
@ 1995-03-12 21:42 ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1995-03-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris O'Regan <ct_oreg@vega.concordia.ca> wrote:
>   I tried compiling some of my schoolwork with OS/2 Gnat 2.03, but I have
>run into a few problems.  I compiled my units without any problems, however
>when I tried to link everthing, I received the following errors:

This is due to a missing file in the version you grabbed from NYU. They put
a corrected version up two days ago. Get the new one. You do not need a
new EMX.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
One, two, three ways an underdog: Ada fan, Mac fan, Old Liberal Democrat
Ada on the WWW: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/ or http://info.acm.org/sigada/