* Re: Doubts About C++
       [not found]                 ` <3jo6v6$hdo@News1.mcs.com>
@ 1995-03-10 23:22                   ` R. William Beckwith
From: R. William Beckwith @ 1995-03-10 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pkt-0803950829080001@lafitte.ultranet.com>, pkt@ultranet.com
says...

>In article <3003357439.214087@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum <erik@naggum.no>
wrote:

>> |   C++ has better libraries.
>>
>> strictly speaking, this does not follow from your enumeration of
>> libraries, which illustrates _quantity_, not _quality_.
>
>You have to start somewhere.  To have a quality library you must first
>have a library.  Almost all of the nice languages have  *no* libraries
>listed in the PIQUI FAQ.

>>the exact opposite conclusion seems more likely.
>
>The analogy with MS-DOS is not evidence one way or the other of quality.
>Care to stick your neck out and choose a library you would use for
>platform-independent development of a GUI-oriented application?

The X Consortium is working on a platform independent, distributed
(CORBA), GUI and structured graphics library called Fresco.  Fresco
supports multi-threading on Win NT and MT Unix's.  Check it out in
X11R6.

Since Fresco's interface (API) is defined in OMG IDL, Fresco can
be used from several languages.  The `servers' in the X11R6 sample
implementation are written in C++.  We are working on an Ada95
implementation.  Even C++ and Smalltalk programmers will be able
to use our `nice language' version.  ;-)

Fujitsu maintains a nice web page on Fresco:

    http://edinburgh.fujitsu.com:8000/Fresco.html

>Scott Turner
>Liant Software Corp., Framingham, MA 01701 USA
>pkturner@ultranet.com     http://www.ultranet.com/~pkturner/

... Bill

e-mail: Bill.Beckwith@ois.com       |    Team Ada
Objective Interface Systems, Inc.   | dist, full O-O
1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 250 | multithreading
Reston, VA  22091-5448  U.S.A.      |    built in

* Re: Doubts About C++
@ 1995-03-10 23:33                     ` R. William Beckwith
From: R. William Beckwith @ 1995-03-10 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. William Beckwith (beckwb@ois.com) wrote:

: Fujitsu maintains a nice web page on Fresco:

:     http://edinburgh.fujitsu.com:8000/Fresco.html

Oops, that's the old address.  Here's the new one:

    http://www.faslab.com/fresco/HomePage.html

... Bill

e-mail: Bill.Beckwith@ois.com         FAX:  703-264-1721 |    Team Ada
Objective Interface Systems, Inc.   Voice:  703-264-1900 | dist, full O-O