* ADA compiler for OS/2
@ 1994-09-15  3:39 Chai Boon Ping
From: Chai Boon Ping @ 1994-09-15  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. Does anyone know where I can buy an ADA compiler for OS/2 in USA or
in Singapore?

* Re: ADA compiler for OS/2
@ 1994-09-16 17:55 ` spelegan
From: spelegan @ 1994-09-16 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <358fl3$jn9@nuscc.nus.sg>, ccecbp@leonis.nus.sg (Chai Boon Ping) writes:

>Hi. Does anyone know where I can buy an ADA compiler for OS/2 in USA or
>in Singapore?

I believe there is a freeware Ada compiler for OS/2 on one of the NYU anonymous
ftp sites.

Stewart Pelegan
Environmental Services
Computer Sciences Corporation
(301)572-3784

* ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-08  3:30 Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh
From: Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh @ 1995-03-08  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any good Ada compilers around for os/2?
if so, do they compile in 32bit? and are they text based or gui based systems?

thanks in advance

Paul Yeoh
9303855@edna.cc.swin.edu.au

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-08  4:45 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1995-03-08  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: ada compiler for os/2
From: Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh, 930385@edna.cc.swin.edu.au
Date: 8 Mar 1995 03:30:34 GMT
In article <3jj8cqINNoho@edna.cc.swin.edu.au> Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh,
930385@edna.cc.swin.edu.au writes:

>Are there any good Ada compilers around for os/2?
>if so, do they compile in 32bit? and are they text based or gui based
systems?

Yes, yes and text.

Gnat Ada for OS/2 is one of the supported platforms, and implements
all of Ada83, and most of Ada95. It is available for free under the
GNU software license, and can be found on

	Yallara, /public/100/gnat/os2

As well in the directory

	Yallara, /public/100/gnat/contrib/..something...

there are OS/2 bindings (allows you to call OS/2 services). You will
still need a book on using OS/2 to know how to use such services.

Dale

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-08 15:50 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh <930385@edna.cc.swin.edu.au> wrote:

>Are there any good Ada compilers around for os/2?

Yes, the GNU Ada95 compiler is quite nice.  ftp to cs.nyu.edu, look
in /pub/gnat.  An EMX-based release should be out by the end of this
week.
`
>if so, do they compile in 32bit?

Definitely 32-bit.  I don't even think it's possible to generate
16-bit code.

>and are they text based or gui based systems?

This depends on what you mean.  If you're looking for a
"Borland-like" environment with cross-referencing, drop-down menus,
color-syntax hilighting, etc., pick up the latest GNU Emacs (19.27)
for OS/2.  Be sure to pick up the Ada-mode additions from cs.nyu.edu,
under //pub/gnat/contrib.

If you mean, "Can I write PM apps with it?"  The  answer is also yes,
pick up the PM bindings to Ada95 (also under /pub/gnat/contrib).

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-08 17:14 ` Ariel Lieberman
From: Ariel Lieberman @ 1995-03-08 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Are there any good Ada compilers around for os/2?
   if so, do they compile in 32bit? and are they text based or gui based systems?

Thomson Software Products (Alsys), Yes, Text

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-09  3:56   ` Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh
From: Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh @ 1995-03-09  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

: Gnat Ada for OS/2 is one of the supported platforms, and implements
: all of Ada83, and most of Ada95. It is available for free under the

is Gnat Ada and Gnu Ada validated Ada compilers?
They would be pretty useless if they are not.

Paul
9303855@edna.cc.swin.edu.au

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-09  4:26 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1995-03-09  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Gnat Ada for OS/2 is one of the supported platforms, and implements
>all of Ada83, and most of Ada95.
The OS2 Gnat at cs.ny.edu appears to have dates of last December.
There were major gaps.  Is the new release imminent?

>there are OS/2 bindings (allows you to call OS/2 services).
Where?  (I downloaded something that was temporarily in the upload
directory on hobbes a month or so ago, but the link failed because
something was missing.  Is there a new version?)

>still need a book on using OS/2 to know how to use such services.
Specific title suggestions please.  'Using OS/2 Warp' and
Petzold's 'OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming' don't tell.  Of
the dozens of OS/2 books at Computer Literacy, which few should a
person get to find out the API calls.

-----------------
PGP:Thomas Welling Moran <tmoran@bix.com>

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-09 10:23 ` John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1995-03-09 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@bix.com wrote:

: >still need a book on using OS/2 to know how to use such services.
: Specific title suggestions please.  'Using OS/2 Warp' and
: Petzold's 'OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming' don't tell.  Of
: the dozens of OS/2 books at Computer Literacy, which few should a
: person get to find out the API calls.

: PGP:Thomas Welling Moran <tmoran@bix.com>

The best way to get OS/2 info is from the IBM Developer's Connection CD
subscription.  All the API's are included which normally sell in
paperback for over $1300.  A four issue subscription costs $199 per year but
students/educators get a 40% discount.  To order DevCon call 1-800-6DEVCON.

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-09 13:23     ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jlu96INN24f@edna.cc.swin.edu.au>,
Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh <930385@edna.cc.swin.edu.au> wrote:
>is Gnat Ada and Gnu Ada validated Ada compilers?
>They would be pretty useless if they are not.

I claim you are horribly wrong.  Defend your statement.

--

@ 1995-03-09 13:26 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jm024$7ah@news1.delphi.com>,  <tmoran@bix.com> wrote:
>>Gnat Ada for OS/2 is one of the supported platforms, and implements
>>all of Ada83, and most of Ada95.
>The OS2 Gnat at cs.ny.edu appears to have dates of last December.
>There were major gaps.  Is the new release imminent?

I've been beating on an early release...one should be out by tomorrow.

>>there are OS/2 bindings (allows you to call OS/2 services).
>Where?  (I downloaded something that was temporarily in the upload
>directory on hobbes a month or so ago, but the link failed because
>something was missing.  Is there a new version?)

Look on cs.nyu.edu, under /pub/gnat/contrib.  Hobbes for some reason
refuses to let it stay on their system, presumably because it's in
early stages.

>>still need a book on using OS/2 to know how to use such services.
>Specific title suggestions please.  'Using OS/2 Warp' and
>Petzold's 'OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming' don't tell.  Of
>the dozens of OS/2 books at Computer Literacy, which few should a
>person get to find out the API calls.

I think there''s a discussion of this in the PM binding package at
the location mentioned above.

--

@ 1995-03-10  3:55   ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1995-03-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Stanbrough <dale@rmit.edu.au> writes:

>GNU software license, and can be found on

>	Yallara, /public/100/gnat/os2

>As well in the directory

>	Yallara, /public/100/gnat/contrib/..something...

>there are OS/2 bindings (allows you to call OS/2 services). You will
>still need a book on using OS/2 to know how to use such services.

Whoops! Sorry about that! This was posted to one of our local
newsgroups, and I thought it was from one of our students.

Dale :-(

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-10 14:26 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Version 2.03 of GNAT, the long awaited EMX port, is now available
at cs.nyu.edu. Note that there are four files in all, two for EMX
itself, and two for GNAT. You only need the EMX files if you do NOT
already have EMX installed. If you don't know what EMX is, then you
need them :-)

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-10 15:48 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-03-10 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: ada compiler for os/2
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

David Weller <dweller@STARBASE.NEOSOFT.COM> writes
>In article <3jlu96INN24f@edna.cc.swin.edu.au>,
>Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh <930385@edna.cc.swin.edu.au> wrote:
>>is Gnat Ada and Gnu Ada validated Ada compilers?
>>They would be pretty useless if they are not.
>>

>I claim you are horribly wrong.  Defend your statement.

I'd have to agree most vehemently. Granted, an unvalidated
compiler is pretty useless if you need a compiler for a
government contract. (Unless we want to get that whole "mandate"
urinating contest going again?) But I remember the Janus Ada $99
unvalidated _and_ non-standard Ada83 implementation many years
ago and it was _very_ useful as a learning tool and for
relatively small "serious" programming projects.

A working compiler for any language - even a subset of a language
- can still be useful in lots of real world projects.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    Please send responses to one of the addresses in this trailer.
    A "reply" to the address in the message header will bounce.
   "If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."

        -- Calvin Coolidge

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-10 16:18     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

is Gnat Ada and Gnu Ada validated Ada compilers?
They would be pretty useless if they are not.

Gosh, I guess this means that all C++ compilers are pretty useless :-)

Seriously, there is no such thing as a validated Ada 95 compiler yet, since
the test suite is not yet available for validation. However, the test suite
will be available first. NYU is not carrying out validations (our contract
does not allow for that). But SGI will be validating GNAT under IRIX (in
cooperation with ACT), and we expect that other versions will be validated
later.

Incidentally, the original observation shows a naive confidence on validation
that I am afraid is misplaced. Both the following statements are completely
false:

  A validated compiler is usable
  A non-validated compiler is useless

Of course if you are a MANDATED (capitalized in honor of GA) environment
where the use of a validated compiler is mandatory, then you will have to
wait for GNAT to be validated to use it. Notice however, that there is a policy
in place that permits research and prototyping to be done using non-validated
Ada 95 compilers (I am not quite sure of the exact wording).

In fact we have a lot of users doing serious work with GNAT now, so it
is definitely not useless :-)

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-11  3:58     ` kkrieser
From: kkrieser @ 1995-03-11  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <3jlu96INN24f@edna.cc.swin.edu.au>, 930385@edna.cc.swin.edu.au (Paul Shin-Hou Yeoh) writes:
>: Gnat Ada for OS/2 is one of the supported platforms, and implements
>: all of Ada83, and most of Ada95. It is available for free under the
>

>is Gnat Ada and Gnu Ada validated Ada compilers?
>They would be pretty useless if they are not.
They are not currently validated, and the gnatdoc1.tex file distributed with the release
states that New York university will not have it validated.  I suspect because of the
expense involved, especially for a product that they don't sell.

At this point, it is not validatable, since it isn't even feature complete.

--  Kevin Krieser
--  Using OS/2 Warp
--  New Address:  kkrieser@ionet.net,
--  or kkrieser@bix.com

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-12 11:11   ` Spotty Dog
From: Spotty Dog @ 1995-03-12 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to OS/2 (WARP) but have FTP'd the GNAT Ada compiler from cs.nyu.edu.
I've unzipped the following files to their relevevant directories:

	emx-os2.....disk1.zip
	emx-os2.....disk2.zip
	gnat-os2....disk1.zip
	gnat-os2....disk2.zip
	gnat-os2....fix01.zip

I've run the fly-gnat command file and then setgnat, but when I try to
execute the makeexam command file every line errors with saying that it
can't find the file EMX.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

I've been using GNAT for DOS for sometime with no problems, but would
like to move over to OS/2 Warp, since I've spent the money on it.

BTW. Ada is programming langauge of all 1st years at York Uni.

William Bryan,
1st Year Computer Systems and Software Engineering Student,
University of York, Britain.

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-12 16:07     ` Tore Joergensen
From: Tore Joergensen @ 1995-03-12 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Spotty Dog (wjb101@unix.york.ac.uk) wrote:
: I'm new to OS/2 (WARP) but have FTP'd the GNAT Ada compiler from cs.nyu.edu.
: I've unzipped the following files to their relevevant directories:

: 	emx-os2.....disk1.zip
: 	emx-os2.....disk2.zip
: 	gnat-os2....disk1.zip
: 	gnat-os2....disk2.zip
: 	gnat-os2....fix01.zip

: I've run the fly-gnat command file and then setgnat, but when I try to
: execute the makeexam command file every line errors with saying that it
: can't find the file EMX.
The read.me file says you should add x:\emx\dll to libpath in config.sys and
then reboot.
Tore B. Joergensen,    |    e-mail:     tore@lis.pitt.edu
a norwegian student    |    snail-mail: 2201 Pittockstr.
a long way from home.  |                Pittsburgh, 15217 PA
                       |    web:        http://www.pitt.edu/~tojst1

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-12 17:44     ` Chris O'Regan
From: Chris O'Regan @ 1995-03-12 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.950312110558.17786D-100000@tower.york.ac.uk>

SD := Spotty Dog  <wjb101@unix.york.ac.uk>

[Lines deleted]

SD>I've run the fly-gnat command file and then setgnat, but when I try to
SD>execute the makeexam command file every line errors with saying that it
SD>can't find the file EMX.

   In one of the readme files (I forget which) there is an instruction to
add "x:\EMX\DLL" to the LIBPATH in your CONFIG.SYS (where x is the drive).
After you reboot, makeexam should work fine.

Chris O'Regan
Computer Engineering,
Concordia University,
Montreal, Canada.

* Re: ada compiler for os/2
@ 1995-03-19  0:51       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1995-03-19  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

General comment on GNAT installation.

One thing that GNAT lacks is a smooth bullet-proof installation procedure.
This is particularly noticeable on DOS and OS/2, where the standard is
to expect such procedures (on Unix, crufty installation procedures are
more familiar).

Certainly we will try to improve this sometime, but it is not our
highest priority.

Meanwhile it needs to be emphasized that the instructions should be
followed CAREFULLY TO THE LETTER.

Nearly all (well over 95%) of all installtion problem reports stem from
people not following the directions carefully. Either they just haven't
read carefully, or, surprisingly frequently, people figure they know better
and can skip or change a step, and mess themselves up doing so.

Certainly we have occasional exceptions where there are real installation
problems, but if everyone will follow the installation directions
carefully, they will save themselves time and frustration!