* ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
@ 1995-03-06 14:52 Kevin Moore
From: Kevin Moore @ 1995-03-06 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm in need of an ADA compiler for DOS or MS Windows.  I have the
GWU environment for the MAC and while it works well for basic
programming, it doesn't seem to support ADA's advanced features such as
ADT generic packages.  If anyone is aware of such a compiler/environment
please e-mail me.  Thank-You in advance.  Kevin.

* Re: ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
@ 1995-03-08  0:01 ` Michael Feldman
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Feldman @ 1995-03-08  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jf7jt$kie@nellie.musc.edu>, Kevin Moore <moore@musc.edu> wrote:
>I'm in need of an ADA compiler for DOS or MS Windows.  I have the
>GWU environment for the MAC and while it works well for basic
>programming, it doesn't seem to support ADA's advanced features such as
>ADT generic packages.  If anyone is aware of such a compiler/environment
>please e-mail me.  Thank-You in advance.  Kevin.

Huh? Do you have SmallAda or GW-Ada/Ed?
If the latter, of course it supports generic ADT packages. The only
restriction is that you have to put the spec and the body in the same file.
This is an Ada/Ed limitation. BTW - there's an electronic discussion group
for GW-Ada/Ed - see below.

If you want an Ada 95 DOS compiler that's mostly done except for tasking
(on DOS, that is), go for GNAT, from cs.nyu.edu, pub/gnat. You need to
install djgpp - get the djg112m2.zip file from NYU as well. Read the
documentation before proceeding. A DOS editor, GW-GNAT, is in
pub/gnat/contrib/gwu.

Mike Feldman
---
To users of GW-Ada/Ed:

We are happy to announce the formation of an automated mailing list
for discussions about GW-Ada/Ed. We get a lot of repetitive e-mail
on this subject, so we decided to make the discussions public.
Several of us at GW will be regularly reading and responding to
messages from this list.

To use the list, you must first subscribe. Send an e-mail note to
listproc@seas.gwu.edu. The subject line must be _empty_; the message
should contain the 3 lines

help
help set
subscribe gw-adaed firstname lastname (substitute your own names!)

The first 2 lines will get you help messages indicating how to use the
various options listproc provides; the third line subscribes you to the
list. This is all automated; our hands do not touch your message.

Once you get an e-mail acknowledgement of your subscription, you can
write to the list by sending e-mail to gw-adaed@seas.gwu.edu. In messages
to the list, do _not_ leave the subject line empty.

We hope you will spread around the news of the availability of this list.
You do _not_ need Usenet news accesss or ftp to join the list; you need
only to be able to send and receive Internet e-mail.

We hope you enjoy the list, and using GW-Ada/Ed!

Yours truly,

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

* Re: ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
@ 1995-03-09 17:23 ` STEPHEN BALCH
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: STEPHEN BALCH @ 1995-03-09 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm in need of an ADA compiler for DOS or MS Windows.  I have the
> GWU environment for the MAC and while it works well for basic
> programming, it doesn't seem to support ADA's advanced features such as
> ADT generic packages.  If anyone is aware of such a compiler/environment
> please e-mail me.  Thank-You in advance.  Kevin.
------------
Alsys has a compiler that runs on IBM PC's / clones.
The last phone number I had is for a govt rep, but the commercial
 rep sits across the divider from her, or at least that used to be
 the case.  They will not turn business down.

Ph 703-438-3980, JeaN o'kELLEY.

* Re: ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
@ 1995-03-09 17:24 ` STEPHEN BALCH
From: STEPHEN BALCH @ 1995-03-09 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm in need of an ADA compiler for DOS or MS Windows.  I have the
> GWU environment for the MAC and while it works well for basic
> programming, it doesn't seem to support ADA's advanced features such as
> ADT generic packages.  If anyone is aware of such a compiler/environment
> please e-mail me.  Thank-You in advance.  Kevin.
------------
Alsys has a compiler that runs on IBM PC's / clones.
The last phone number I had is for a govt rep, but the commercial
 rep sits across the divider from her, or at least that used to be
 the case.  They will not turn business down.

Ph 703-438-3980, JeaN o'kELLEY.

* Re: ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1995-03-09 22:20 ` Steve Sivulka
From: Steve Sivulka @ 1995-03-09 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

moore@musc.edu (Kevin Moore) wrote:

> I'm in need of an ADA compiler for DOS or MS Windows.  I have the
> GWU environment for the MAC and while it works well for basic
> programming, it doesn't seem to support ADA's advanced features such as
> ADT generic packages.  If anyone is aware of such a compiler/environment
> please e-mail me.  Thank-You in advance.  Kevin.

Kevin,

I suggest you check out ActivAda for Windows.  It does both Windows
and DOS development.

Here's a good part of the enchilada:

ActivAda for Windows

ActivAda for Windows is a professional Ada Integrated Development
Environment (IDE) delivering the combined power of 32-bit architecture,
the Windows operating system and Ada in one comprehensive product.

The ActivAda compiler generates either 32-bit DOS-based applications or
32-bit Windows-based applications.  Programs can accommodate data
objects much larger than the 16-bit size limit of 64KB.  ActivAda uses
the PharLap TNT DOS extender for DOS-based applications and Microsoft
Win32s for Windows-based applications.

Interface is provided to the 32-bit PharLap or Microsoft Assembler and
Metaware High-C for DOS-based applications as well as to Microsoft
Visual C++, 32-bit edition for Windows-based applications

Alsys' popular AdaWorld has been upgraded with a Windows-based IDE built
around a powerful Ada-sensitive editor.  Support is provided for the
entire edit-compile-bind-link-run-debug development cycle.  Users may
define various projects, and configure different compiler and binder
options associated with each project.  A new Graphical User Interface
(GUI) gives full point-and-click access to all ActivAda development
tools.  The highly intuitive AdaWorld Command Line User Interface is
also available under DOS.

Extensive pre-compiled Win32s API Ada libraries are included with
ActivAda.  With over a thousand Windows functions, these libraries let
ActivAda programmers quickly tap the full power of the Win32s API.

The Microsoft Win32s CodeView debugger included with ActivAda provides
efficient debugging of Win32s applications.  A single debugger may be
used to debug multi-language applications.

ActivAda's GUI Builder lets users design any Windows application
visually.  With the ease of drag-and-drop functionality, GUI Builder
automatically generates Windows application source code.  Additional
user-defined code for different Window's events may be attached to each
GUI Builder object simply by double clicking on the object and typing
the code into GUI Builder's code editor.  The generated source code is a
complete Windows application ready to be compiled, linked and ran.
ActivAda's GUI Builder dramatically shortens the development time of
Windows-based applications in Ada while increasing the maintainability
of the user interface.

HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

386, 486 or Pentium-based system with 8MB of RAM
50MB hard disk space required for ActivAda
DOS 5.0 or higher
Windows 3.1 or higher

For more information:

Maria Schatzkamer
Thompson Software (formerly Alsys)
ActivAda Representative

Voice:  (617) 270-0030 x234
Fax:    (617) 270-6882
Email:  maria@east.alsys.com

* Re: ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1995-03-12 10:54 ` Jochen Hayek
From: Jochen Hayek @ 1995-03-12 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    KM> I'm in need of an ADA compiler for DOS or MS Windows.  I have the
    KM> GWU environment for the MAC and while it works well for basic
    KM> programming, it doesn't seem to support ADA's advanced features such as
    KM> ADT generic packages.  If anyone is aware of such a compiler/environment
    KM> please e-mail me.  Thank-You in advance.  Kevin.

Well, the New York Ada Ed compiler environment grew up and up and ...
and it was put into the GNU repository.

This stems from /prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/DESCRIPTIONS
(I retrieved it from there just 2 minutes ago):

   * GCC	 (For current status, see ``GNU Software''.)

     New front ends for GCC are being developed, but they are not yet part of
     GCC.  ..., and a front end for Ada (GNAT: The GNU Ada Translator) is
     available via anonymous FTP from `cs.nyu.edu' in `/pub/gnat', though it
     is not yet stable.	 News about GNAT is posted to the USENET newsgroup
     `comp.lang.ada'.  ...

So it`s `here' in this group, where you can get uptodate information.

I must admit I did not use it myself yet,
because of few Ada programming the last days.
But concerning `not yet stable' I would not be that sure.

It runs on several architectures.

For MS-DOSE GNAT uses a DOS extender (for having 32bit addresses)
called DJGPP, which in turn is quite stable and being used by C programmers
for quite a while.

But DJGPP does not yet support MS-Windose,
although it seems starting to support its addressing scheme,
so just in a while ...

(Yes, I will also e-mail this directly to Kevin Moore, as he asked for.)

(Try to assume that some spelling mistakes were by purpose!)

jh
--
<A HREF="http://berlin.snafu.de/~jrhayek/">Jochen `Roger' Hayek</A>
phone: +49(171)350.28.73,+49(30)261.28.73  /  fax: +49(30)261.58.46

* Re: ADA compiler for DOS or Windows
@ 1995-03-13 17:52   ` Bernard Banner
From: Bernard Banner @ 1995-03-13 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: This stems from /prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/DESCRIPTIONS
: (I retrieved it from there just 2 minutes ago):
:
:    * GCC	 (For current status, see ``GNU Software''.)
:
:      New front ends for GCC are being developed, but they are not yet part of
:      GCC.  ..., and a front end for Ada (GNAT: The GNU Ada Translator) is
:      available via anonymous FTP from `cs.nyu.edu' in `/pub/gnat', though it
:      is not yet stable. News about GNAT is posted to the USENET newsgroup
:      `comp.lang.ada'.  ...
:
: So it`s `here' in this group, where you can get uptodate information.

Ada Ed and GNAT are two different systems both originating at NYU. What was
mentioned by the GNU DESCRIPTION that was quoted was GNAT not Ada Ed.