* real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-07 21:05 burghgraeve fabrice
From: burghgraeve fabrice @ 1995-03-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello .
i'd like to have some informations about real numbers
(type T is digits ....)
(type T is delta .....)
that i have to use in a maths program.
Who can tell me if there
is a good book about these types of datas.

thank you...

burghgra@ens.lifl.fr

* Re: real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-10 16:06 ` David Arno
From: David Arno @ 1995-03-10 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jihrc$39n@netserver.univ-lille1.fr>
           burghgra@ens.lifl.fr "burghgraeve fabrice" writes:
> hello .
> i'd like to have some informations about real numbers
> (type T is digits ....)
> (type T is delta .....)
> that i have to use in a maths program.
> Who can tell me if there
> is a good book about these types of datas.

The LRM is *the* book for any Ada related subject - assumming you can
understand it of course, as it is a nightmare to read :-(

--
David Arno

* Re: real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-10 23:02   ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1995-03-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <794851577snz@linkmsd.com>, David Arno <davea@linkmsd.com> wrote:

>The LRM is *the* book for any Ada related subject - assumming you can
>understand it of course, as it is a nightmare to read :-(

As language standards go, Ada is about as good as I've ever seen, and I've
seen a lot. _All_ language standards are good reference docs, but you
can't use them as textbooks; they are very legalistic in nature.

The Ada 95 and Ada 83 _Rationale_ documents, on the other hand, make
good reading; they are discursive and give lots of good examples and
insight into why features were desugned as they were. And of course, in
the Ada case, these documents are all free on the net.

Anyone who'd characterize the Ada LRM _per se_ as a "nightmare" to read,
probably hasn't read the others. Most folks haven't read language standards,
because they are expensive and, by nature, hard to read.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
One, two, three ways an underdog: Ada fan, Mac fan, Old Liberal Democrat
Ada on the WWW: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/ or http://info.acm.org/sigada/

* Re: real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-10 23:38     ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1995-03-10 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jqlq1$s02@felix.seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>Anyone who'd characterize the Ada LRM _per se_ as a "nightmare" to read,
>probably hasn't read the others. Most folks haven't read language standards,
>because they are expensive and, by nature, hard to read.

I've read the Ada 83 and Ada 95 LRMs.  I learned Ada from the Ada 83
LRM, but certainly consider the Ada 95 LRM a "nightmare".

I've also read the C standard and find it quite readable.  The major
problem with it, though, is that it never seems to contains answers to
any of the questions I consult it for.

* Re: real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-13 20:58       ` woodruff
From: woodruff @ 1995-03-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jqnu0$3s9@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

    Richard> I've read the Ada 83 and Ada 95 LRMs.  I learned Ada from
    Richard> the Ada 83 LRM, but certainly consider the Ada 95 LRM a
    Richard> "nightmare".

I'm feeling better already!

I have been having this same reaction to the Ada95 LRM, and was
beginning to wonder if a) my memory has become selective since I learned
Ada83 ("life sure was a lot easier then!") or b) a *lot* of cells have
taken early retirement.

I think the world is in greater need of quality Ada textbooks now than
was the case a decade ago.

--
John Woodruff
Lawrence Livermore National Lab

* Re: real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-15 15:34         ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1995-03-15 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <WOODRUFF.95Mar13125852@tanana.llnl.gov> woodruff@tanana.llnl.gov writes:

  > I'm feeling better already!

  > I have been having this same reaction to the Ada95 LRM, and was
  > beginning to wonder if a) my memory has become selective since I learned
  > Ada83 ("life sure was a lot easier then!") or b) a *lot* of cells have
  > taken early retirement.

  > I think the world is in greater need of quality Ada textbooks now than
  > was the case a decade ago.

    "The fault dear Brutus is not in ourselves, but in our stars..."

    I don't think it is the fault of the new RM, but that in the
process of extending the existing language, in many places we chose
truth, beauty, upward compatibility, and functionality over ease of
understanding.  There are some VERY powerful tools in Ada 95, and I
don't think anyone knows how best to use some of them.  In fact I have
convinced myself that many of the paradigms that will be commonly used
in Ada 95 applications are significantly different from the "standard"
object-oriented paradigms.  (We just don't know what the new paradigms
are yet. :-(

    To some extent the same phenomenon occured with Ada 83, but the
parts of Ada 83 which were new to most programmers were isolated in
chapters 9 (Tasking) and 12 (Generics).  It was possible, in fact
common, to teach Ada in three chunks: the Pascal subset (chapters 1
through 6 plus some I/O), the Pascal superset (add 7,8, and 11), and
full Ada.  In Ada 95, the same approach may be justified, but some of
the new pieces are found in the heart of the manual, in chapter 3.  Of
course one way to do this is to teach the Ada 83 subset--Ada 83 with a few
cosmetic extensions, then add tagged, controlled, protected and
abstract types.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: real numbers in ADA
@ 1995-03-20 16:53       ` Richard G. Hash
From: Richard G. Hash @ 1995-03-20 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <3jqnu0$3s9@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:
> I've also read the C standard and find it quite readable.  The major
> problem with it, though, is that it never seems to contains answers to
> any of the questions I consult it for.

For myself, at least, that qualifies it as a "nightmare", right there.

--
Richard G. Hash                                      email: rgh@shell.com
Shell Development Company, Bellaire Research Center  phone: (713) 245-7311