From: Jeff Seigle <jseigle@csci.csc.com>
Subject: Re: Implement Inheritance (Ada83)?
Date: 7 Mar 1995 19:03:06 GMT
Date: 1995-03-07T19:03:06+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3jhj04$2dv@gnat.cs.nyu.edu> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>....Inheritance is a conceptual idea, not a
>syntactic gizmo. ...you can perfectly well implement'
>the fundamental abstraction mechanism that we call inheritance in ANY
>language!

Although this statement is true, the best results are had when the language
has exlicit in its fabric the concepts that you are using to design your
software.  This seems to be the motivation for design of modern languages,
the support for techniques that developed as design concepts.
Years ago I wrote Fortran programs that used a quirk of the
language to implement encapsulation (a kind of crude OOD; I won't include
the boring details here).  This approach has pros and cons.  The advantage
is that you are using concepts as advanced as you can without being
constrained by the language.  The big negative is that once the code is
written there is no enforcement of your wonderful ideas, and the next
one to come along with a mod can stomp down all of your imaginary fences.

Jeff Seigle
CSC