* Ada and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)
@ 1995-02-28 13:46 Doc Elliott
From: Doc Elliott @ 1995-02-28 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have any DIS related Ada applications?  We are trying to host
a Command and Control application on a DIS simulator.  The C2 app is
written in mostly Ada, and we need to interface the C2 app to DIS.  What
we really need is an Ada toolkit for sending, receiving, formatting etc
etc of PDUs.  Does anybody have something we could use?  We could promise
feedback or something of that nature if someone has a near term product
they would like tested etc.  If such a commercial product exists, I would
be interested in that as well.
--
Doc Elliott
KE4KUZ

* Re: Ada and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)
@ 1995-03-01 20:35 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1995-03-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil (Doc Elliott) wrote:

> Does anyone have any DIS related Ada applications?  We are trying to host
> a Command and Control application on a DIS simulator.  The C2 app is
> written in mostly Ada, and we need to interface the C2 app to DIS.  What
> we really need is an Ada toolkit for sending, receiving, formatting etc
> etc of PDUs.  Does anybody have something we could use?  We could promise
> feedback or something of that nature if someone has a near term product
> they would like tested etc.  If such a commercial product exists, I would
> be interested in that as well.

This is getting to the point where it needs to be in the FAQ.

Yes, several folks have DIS-related Ada applications. There is, or
at least used to be, some "low-level" DIS bindings for Ada available
from Loral's DIS bbs. Low-level bindings are good for a
quick-and-dirty solution, but are really no better than coding your
application in C. I don't know if they are still floating around
anywhere. If Loral doesn't have them, you could try asking IST.

To my knowledge, there are no high-level Ada-DIS bindings commercially
available. We have a set we use internally here at Martin Marietta,
which might be for sale, if you can interest our marketting folk.

T.E.D.
dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com

p.s. Standard Disclaimer applies:
     I do NOT speak for MMC (or Lockheed)

* Re: Ada and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)
@ 1995-03-03  2:32   ` Pug 156
From: Pug 156 @ 1995-03-03  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Yes, several folks have DIS-related Ada applications. There is, or
>at least used to be, some "low-level" DIS bindings for Ada available
>from Loral's DIS bbs.

Do you have the number and/or internet address of this BBS?  Are there
restrictions for access?

Additionally, who are the marketing people we would talk to at MMC?

* Re: Ada and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)
@ 1995-03-03 16:12   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-03 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j2lql$48d@theopolis.orl.mmc.com>,
Theodore E. Dennison <dennison@escmail.mmc.orl.com> wrote:
>helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil (Doc Elliott) wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have any DIS related Ada applications?  We are trying to host
>
>This is getting to the point where it needs to be in the FAQ.

Amen to that!

>To my knowledge, there are no high-level Ada-DIS bindings commercially
>available. We have a set we use internally here at Martin Marietta,
>which might be for sale, if you can interest our marketting folk.

Actually, there's a company partnered with MaK Technologies that
sells Ada DIS bindings.  Darned if I remember who they are at the
moment.

For those of you that are REAL gluttons for punishment, there's an
interesting application that you can poke around with at the Naval
Postgraduate School.  It's in C/C++, but I'm sure a reasonable
motivated person could translate them if they were interested.  The
site is ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/npsnet_mosaic.html

Enjoy!

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: Ada and Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)
@ 1995-03-06 15:02     ` Kevin Weise
From: Kevin Weise @ 1995-03-06 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j7f5p$l5r@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>,
David Weller <dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:{

>Actually, there's a company partnered with MaK Technologies that
>sells Ada DIS bindings.  Darned if I remember who they are at the
>moment.

This may be Coleman Research Corporation out of Orlando, FL.  I know
they have an Ada/DIS product, and are marketing it; but I'm darned if I
can remember how to contact them.  (CRC people here in Huntsville, AL
may be some help.)

>For those of you that are REAL gluttons for punishment, there's an
>interesting application that you can poke around with at the Naval
>Postgraduate School.  It's in C/C++, but I'm sure a reasonable
>motivated person could translate them if they were interested.  The
>site is ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/npsnet_mosaic.html
>
>Enjoy!

There's also supposed to be a *free* Ada/DIS implementation available
from AdaIC, sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/pub/AdaIC/tools/atip/adis, or
something like that.  It was done on SGI; BUT ...
a.  the Version 1.1 tar.gz file gunzips okay, but has a tar error, and
b.  the documentation is GROSSLY incomplete.  I have talked to both
    AdaIC and J.F. Taylor (sp?) about this, and they seem to be at odds about
    the documentation.  J.F. Taylor said they would give AdaIC a new
    copy of the documentation around the middle of January, AdaIC swears
    they haven't seen.  Maybe someone else can help them resolve their
    differences; I tried & failed.
Kevin J. Weise			weisek@source.asset.com
COLSA Corporation		Voice - (205) 922-1512 ext. 2115
6726 Odyssey Drive		FAX   - (205) 971-0002
Huntsville, AL  35806
{Standard Disclaimers about my opinions & my employer's opinions}
{... which are in conflict often enough}
"Admire those who seek the truth;
  avoid those who find it."		Marcel Proust