* Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-02-24 21:55 AdaWorks
From: AdaWorks @ 1995-02-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: comp.lang.ada subscribers
From: Richard Riehle
Subject: Ada Job Opportunity

Where: Monterey, CA
Employer: Ogden Government Services
Number of Positions: 3
Application Domain:  Numerical/Computational

Requirements:

     Candidate should have strong math background. Must have a degree
     in a technical specialty such as computer science, math, engineering,
     physics, etc.  They won't even talk to you if your degree is in
     a soft subject such as literature, psychology, etc.

     They want strong Ada experience.  You  should have at least five years
     doing Ada.  Best experience is math-oriented.

Disclaimer:

     I am not a recruiter. This is posted as a favor to Ogden and to
     our client in common, the U.S. Navy.

Who to Contact:

     Kevin Rabe of Ogden Government Services

     FAX your vitae to (408) 645-7996

Good Luck,

Richard Riehle
adaworks@netcom.com
--
                                             adaworks@netcom.com

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-02-25  6:33 ` Colin James III
From: Colin James III @ 1995-02-25  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard,

Why couldn't you just post Kevin Rabe's voice number so someone could
call and post here what the wage spread window is.  Sending a blind fax
is a waste of time if Monterey, CA wages for contractors are the same as
for government workers (who make about 43% less than their respective
contractor counterparts).

Re a degree in a soft subject such as English "literature", apparently
Rabe wants three programmers who cannot write -- so much for
DoD-STD-2167A/2168, QA, QC, and module documentation on that project.

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-02-27 15:19     ` Colin James III
From: Colin James III @ 1995-02-27 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3it9et$36n@rational.rational.com>,
Bob Kitzberger <rlk@rational.com> wrote:
>Colin James III (cjames@stout.entertain.com) wrote:
>
>: Re a degree in a soft subject such as English "literature", apparently
>: Rabe wants three programmers who cannot write -- so much for
>: DoD-STD-2167A/2168, QA, QC, and module documentation on that project.
>
>I wasn't aware that having an engineering degreee precludes a person
>from writing reasonably well.  Odd logic, that.
>
>--
>Bob Kitzberger	        +1 (916) 274-3075	        rlk@rational.com
>Rational Software Corp., 10565 Brunswick Rd. #11, Grass Valley, CA 95945
>  "...the solution to the problem is usually to pee on it"  -- Dave Barry

How much does Rational spend every quarter on ghost writers for all its
projects, including Booch, Rumbaugh, et al ?

Come now, Mr Kitz.

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-02-27 19:33   ` Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1995-02-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-02-28 14:23       ` Michael Hann
From: Michael Hann @ 1995-02-28 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin James has a point . . . most engineers couldn't write their
way out of a paper bag.  On the other hand, most soft subject
people are sadly lacking in fundamental technical knowledge.

"We park on the driveway and drive on the parkway." - Unknown

	mikeh@ssd.fsi.com

@ 1995-02-28 21:57         ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1995-02-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <MIKEH.95Feb28082303@dev1.ssd.fsi.com> mikeh@ssd.fsi.com (Michael Hann) writes:

 > Colin James has a point . . . most engineers couldn't write their
 > way out of a paper bag.  On the other hand, most soft subject
 > people are sadly lacking in fundamental technical knowledge.

   This canard against engineers has, in my experience no basis in
fact.  A much better dividing line between C. P. Snow's two cultures
is that members of one culture know mathematics, and members of the
other do not.  (I could say members of the other culture believe in
Astrology, but that is a little too nasty.)

   When I was a member of the Savoyards (a group in Philadelphia
devoted to producing the operettas of Gilbert and Sullivan) the
closest we came to a "non-technical" member was my bridge partner who
was the head of an insurance company.  (Robert Dewar also has lots of
experience in this area, I'm sure he would be willing to comment.)
Many of my musician friends--some met well outside of the computer
business--kept bread in their mouths as computer programmers, the two
talents seem to run together.

   So I just can't believe that it is just coincidence, or the way I
pick my friends.  When I make a literary or artistic allusion, I
expect most of my engineer friends and some of the liberal arts majors
to get it.

    I can claim to be a bystander in the battle, my undergaduate
degree is officially in the most mathematical of the social
sciences--Economics.   But I would be lying--Mathematics is one of the
Liberal Arts in theory, but very far from there in practice, and I
have a masters in Operations Research and Statistics--from a
Management School.  (There I've done it!  My dark, dirty secrets
revealed not only do I have a B.A. not a B.S., but I have a Masters
from a B-school. ;-)

    Okay here is a challenge--I'll disqualify myself.  Name the seven
liberal arts--the trivium and the quadrivium.  Identify yourself as a
math/science/engineering geek\b\b\b\bmajor or a liberal arts or social
sciences type.  Extra points for identifing the cathedral that depicts
them.  We'll see how people sort themselves out.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-03-01 18:01           ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-01 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <EACHUS.95Feb28165722@spectre.mitre.org>,
Robert I. Eachus <eachus@spectre.mitre.org> wrote:
>    Okay here is a challenge--I'll disqualify myself.  Name the seven
>liberal arts--the trivium and the quadrivium.  Identify yourself as a
>math/science/engineering geek\b\b\b\bmajor or a liberal arts or social
>sciences type.  Extra points for identifing the cathedral that depicts
>them.  We'll see how people sort themselves out.

Trivium: Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric
Quadrivium: Arithmetic, Astronomy, Geometry, and Music

I think the cathedral is llocated in Cambridge

I'm a CS puke, thus my bachelor's degree comes from the "witchcraft"
category :-)

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Come Now, Mr. James (was Ada Job Opportunity - Repost)
@ 1995-03-01 19:35       ` Kent Mitchell
From: Kent Mitchell @ 1995-03-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the humor impaired the following is a big spoof on CJIII.  This is
*not* a serious post.

Colin James III (cjames@stout.entertain.com) wrote:
: How much does Rational spend every quarter on ghost writers for all its
: projects, including Booch, Rumbaugh, et al ?

We spend about $13,000,000 on ghosts per year.  Actually we never really
write anything.  All of our engineers (myself included) can't actually read or
write.  We work by a highly secret "mind link" with the computers.
It's part of a CIA experiment that went very very wrong (now doesn't that put
some light on some of the bugs you've seen).  When we have to communicate
so that the rest of the world can understand our lofty thoughts we get
ghosts (and I mean real ghosts) to translate our thought patterns into
english.   This is because, to date, only ghosts seems to be able to bridge
the gap between our thoughts and lowly english.  I think it's because
ghost are able to span time and we no longer think or live in linear time.

WRT our "Booch and Rumbaugh" projects, Grady and Jim are actually two
disembodied brains betting "quatludes" (sp?) over guys fighting in an arena.
When they have time they "beam thought at our ghosts who write them down in
English for publications.  The "people" that you actually see are androids
and are controlled by the will of the mind.

As you can see ghosts are very important.

: Come now, Mr Kitz.
Come now Mr. James.

--
Kent Mitchell                   | One possible reason that things aren't
Technical Consultant            | going according to plan is .....

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-03-02 14:57             ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1995-03-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

     In article <3j2cp7$jch@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller) writes:

  > Trivium: Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric
  > Quadrivium: Arithmetic, Astronomy, Geometry, and Music

   Correct.

  > I think the cathedral is llocated in Cambridge

   News to me.  I was thinking of Chartes.

  > I'm a CS puke, thus my bachelor's degree comes from the "witchcraft"
  > category :-)

   And the other (also correct) answer I got came from a Statistics
major with a graduate degree in Physics.  I'm not sure that counts as
confirmation (even if I count myself, everybody who knew the answer
had a math degree of some sort.)
--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-03-03 16:21               ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-03 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <EACHUS.95Mar2095723@spectre.mitre.org>,
Robert I. Eachus <eachus@spectre.mitre.org> wrote:
>   And the other (also correct) answer I got came from a Statistics
>major with a graduate degree in Physics.  I'm not sure that counts as
>confirmation (even if I count myself, everybody who knew the answer
>had a math degree of some sort.)

Actually, in a brazen demonstration of honesty, I might suggest that
all your respondents had a _dictionary_ of some sort :-)

--

@ 1995-03-03 21:58                 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1995-03-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j7fn7$n4r@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller) writes:

  > Actually, in a brazen demonstration of honesty, I might suggest that
  > all your respondents had a _dictionary_ of some sort :-)

    And there were NO liberal arts majors who know how to use a
dictionary?  ;-)

    Seriously, I did make it easier for dictionary users by mentioning
the trivium and quadrivium, but I have no problem listing them without
a dictionary.  I'd have a lot more trouble naming the Disney's Seven
Dwarfs.  (Lets see: Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, Dopey, Smiley?)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Trivia/um (was Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost)
@ 1995-03-05 11:03                   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-05 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <EACHUS.95Mar3165833@spectre.mitre.org>,
Robert I. Eachus <eachus@spectre.mitre.org> wrote:
>In article <3j7fn7$n4r@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller) writes:
>    Seriously, I did make it easier for dictionary users by mentioning
>the trivium and quadrivium, but I have no problem listing them without
>a dictionary.

You're a far better man than I, Gunga Din.

>I'd have a lot more trouble naming the Disney's Seven
>Dwarfs.  (Lets see: Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, Dopey, Smiley?)

It's easier if you give them all Prozac: Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy,
Happy, Happy, Happy.   :-)

--

@ 1995-03-06  2:57                 ` Richard A. O'Keefe
From: Richard A. O'Keefe @ 1995-03-06  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller) wrote in response to
Robert Eachus's summary of the trivium/quadrivium question:

>Actually, in a brazen demonstration of honesty, I might suggest that
>all your respondents had a _dictionary_ of some sort :-)

That is not a brazen demonstration of honesty, but a brazen attack on
the integrity of Eachus's (other) correspondents.  As it happens, I
_do_ have a dictionary.  Several dictionaries.  Two English, one Latin,
one Esperanto, one Maaori, one Hawaiian.  My Greek, Hebrew, French, and
Klingon dictionaries are at home, with another English one.  Of these,
the only one to define either of the terms is Cassell's Latin dictionary,
which defines "quadrivium" as "a place where four roads meet; a cross-roads",
which is not the relevant sense.

The answer _I_ mailed to Eachus was based on what I've read in Adler,
Alasdair Macintyre, Dorothy L. Sayers, and a book on Thomism.

[Lest I seem to boast, just because I possess a dictionary for a language
does not mean I _speak_ that language at all.  It just means I'd _like_ to.]

I for one have no reason whatsoever to suspect Eachus's correspondents of
having looked up the answer in a dictionary instead of recalling it, and
consider the insinuation that they did unwarranted.

--
"The complex-type shall be a simple-type."  ISO 10206:1991 (Extended Pascal)
Richard A. O'Keefe; http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~ok; RMIT Comp.Sci.

* Re: Ada Job Opportunity - Repost
@ 1995-03-06  3:58                   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-06  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3jdtm4$rmf@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>,
Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:
>dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller) wrote in response to
>Robert Eachus's summary of the trivium/quadrivium question:
>
>>Actually, in a brazen demonstration of honesty, I might suggest that
>>all your respondents had a _dictionary_ of some sort :-)
>
>That is not a brazen demonstration of honesty, but a brazen attack on
>the integrity of Eachus's (other) correspondents.  As it happens, I

De kie vi havas tiun ideon?

My apologies if you interpreted it this way.  The smiley was actually
meant to imply that _I_ looked it up (and to imply that anybody could
have looked it up).  It was definitely not an attack on anybody's
inteegrity, and I apologize publicly if you took it that way.  Alas,
the written medium is not quite sufficient for the nuances I meant.

Milpardono, mi petas.

>Klingon dictionaries are at home, with another English one.  Of these,
>the only one to define either of the terms is Cassell's Latin dictionary,
>which defines "quadrivium" as "a place where four roads meet; a cross-roads",
>which is not the relevant sense.

You must not have the trusty American Heritage Dictionary :-)