* Problems with GNAT and GZIP
@ 1995-03-01 22:49 There can be only one
From: There can be only one @ 1995-03-01 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm posting this for a co-worker who recently (yesterday) downloaded the
Windows NT version of GNAT, along with the GZIP and TAR executables to
decompress the GNAT archive.  When we try to execute gzip-winnt.exe, a window
pops up and then quickly vanishes.  Drag-and drop of the archive onto
gzip-winnt.exe and invoking it from the command line have the same effect.
This is all happening on a Pentium machine running Windows NT 3.5.  I've
decompressed and used GNAT on SunOS, but I'm not a PC person so I don't
have any suggestions for him.  Any ideas?

David papay
papay@acm.org

* Re: Problems with GNAT and GZIP
@ 1995-03-02 23:41 ` Robert S. White
From: Robert S. White @ 1995-03-02 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3j2tlo$jte@hopper.acm.org>, papay@ACM.ORG says...

>When we try to execute gzip-winnt.exe, a window
>pops up and then quickly vanishes.  Drag-and drop of the archive onto
>gzip-winnt.exe and invoking it from the command line have the same effect.

I download GNAT and gzip-winnt.exe recently also.  No trouble with running
it from the command line after I renamed it to GUNZIP.EXE.  I also copied it
to GZIP.EXE since I seem to remember a true with GNU stuff running differently
depending upon what it is called.  When I tried to associate ".gz" type files
to run GUNZIP.EXE from FileManager I did get similar behavior to what you
described.

Hope this helps!

Robert S. White
76166.1137@compuserve.com