From: "Thomas W. Hood (703)913-4308" <hoodt%postoffice.sdf.sbis.com@inetgw.fsc.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Ada in Client/Server (was: Borland Ada)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 15:33:28 GMT
Date: 1995-03-01T15:33:28+00:00	[thread overview]

Howard.Gilbert@yale.edu wrote:
<snip>

> Ada may be a wonderful language, but it is unlikely that anyone
> will invest the amount of effort needed to build the surrounding
> infrastructure of development environment, GUI interface, database
> interface, case tools, and all the rest.  Even with the investment,
BZZZZT!  whether or not you _like_ the tools, they exist :
Environment : Rational has a nice one...
GUI         : Fresco beats the crap outta VisualToolbox
DB          : Oracle Pro*Ada or Informix AdaSAME will get you there
Case tools  : Cadre's Teamwork/Ada or Software Through Pictures

> it is simply not true that Ada will ever compete head-on with
> Visual Basic.  So maybe the Client isn't the best place to
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ada 83 never competed with GW-BASIC either ;-)
> concentrate effort ("Programming in the Small").
<snip>
>  ---------------
> Howard Gilbert -- Chief Mechanic at PC Lube and Tune
> Technical training on PC's, networks, and communications.
> Point Netscape or WebExplorer at http://pclt.cis.yale.edu/pclt/default.htm

I don't disagree that we need to concentrate on interfacing with other
languages/standards, but I _strongly_ disagree that we should nich-ify
Ada 95 by ignoring the client side of C/S architectures.

Thomas Hood
-- hoodt%postoffice.sdf.sbis.com@inetgw.fsc.ibm.com (_really!_)
--
-- Ignorance can be cured with learning, but stupidity lasts a lifetime.