From: helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil (Doc Elliott)
Subject: Re: Shlaer-Mellor OOA/RD with Ada
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 08:18:51 EST
Date: 1995-02-28T08:18:51-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <3iat22$pl6@butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>,
brockwel@zuni.litc.lockheed.com says...

>Are there any subsribers who have experience using
>Shlaer-Mellor OOA/RD to develop real-time Ada
>applications?
>
>Specifically, has anyone automated the architecture
>design / mapping rule definition process?
>
>Please email me if you have any information or advice to
>offer a newcomer to Shlaer-Mellor for Ada applications.
>
>brockwel@lightning.hunts.lmsc.lockheed.com
>
>(205) 722-4080 (phone)
>.

We did a study comparing all of the OOD methods available at the time
(~92?) and looked at tool support, mapping into Ada, availability of
training etc etc.  I can probably get you a report released through our
security weenies, but the bottom line was Shlaer - Mellor sucked for real
time systems.  It has very little capability for defining system
boundaries - the subtitle of their book was "Modelling the world" and
that's kinda what you end up doing, rather than modelling your problem
and solution space.  SM is a data flow oriented model, it depends on what
appears to be enhanced data flow diagrams for almost all of its database.
 This is not very good for interrupt driven systems which must be
deterministic.  Also, the tools available to support it required use of
some additional methods (such as Harel statecharts) to allow any
simulation of the system model.

Let me know directly if you want me to get the report released to you -
it may take a while, and the info is probably somehwat out of date,
especially the tool support part.
--
Doc Elliott
KE4KUZ