From: ucaa2385@iris2.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de (Peter Hermann)
Subject: icelandic eth thorn
Date: 28 Feb 1995 10:33:29 GMT
Date: 1995-02-28T10:33:29+00:00	[thread overview]

icelandic question:
For a simple sorting feature running under both Ada83 and Ada95
I am mapping the latin-1 character code for
a" (a with umlaut) (diaeresis) german-ae
as well as a` a with grave accent, a' a with acute accent,
a^ a with circumflex, a~ a with tilde, ao a with ring, ae ae diphtong
to the code of character a.
Correspondingly I map german_sharp_s to s, or n_tilde to n.
For my application this is the best fit for my sorting purposes.

However, I do not know how whether the characters
icelandic_eth and icelandic_thorn are usually sorted into
the lower set of ascii-characters in a typical icelandic
telephone book or whether they are characters entirely in their
own right.

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen