From: gentle@cnj.digex.net (Gentle)
Subject: Re: Ada for C30
Date: 24 Feb 1995 13:33:40 GMT
Date: 1995-02-24T13:33:40+00:00	[thread overview]

John L. Kollig (jlkollig@space.honeywell.com) wrote:
: I am looking for any experiences with Ada compilers that target the
: TI C30 processor. Please send any information to my email address if
: possible.
: Thanks in advance,
: JK
:
: John L. Kollig
: Honeywell
: Clearwater,

  Well, I had tried responding to this article once before, but the server
computer crashed and lost my response.  It seems every network and computer
I've been associated with goes down more often than a cheap whore.  THe
only difference is that I get no pleasure out of it. <sigh>

  Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I would love to get an Ada
compiler for the 'C5x (or even 'C3x series) processors.  I'm currently
working with assembly language for the 'C56 here at ITT.  Unfortunately,
this processor chip hasn't even come off the assembly line yet.. It's not
due until sometime in July.  Talk about vaporware...
  So, since ITT will not spend the time or money to look into using a
high-level language (or at least this depertment - the other department I
was in for 5 years used Ada on the 1750 for the GPS Block IIR satellites),
I'd like to take it upon myself to investigate Ada in signal processing and
shove it in their faces.  They wrote memos to the government saying they
investigated the use of high level languages (even C!) and that they
weren't feasible, but no investigation was done.  Basically the line is
"We've always done things in assembly, so therefore we always will."  How
many of you have heard that line before?  Well, if I can provide (at least
for myself) proof of concept of Ada for DSPs, either they could start using
it in future projects, or I could possibly take it somewhere else (one of
those places being my own company - anybody want to join me?)

   Dejectedly,
  (me)

gentle@cnj.digex.net  -  Finger for PGP Public Key
Software Engineer
Edison, NJ

Twink code:
T6 C1 L2w h-(:) d-- av w- e+ g+ f t++(2,4,6,7,8) k++v s- m1 m2 q-

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
		-- A. E. Newman