* Re: Ada as a Foundation Language - Casting the
       [not found] <3hdv42$7i8@theopolis.orl.mmc.com>
@ 1995-02-11  5:44 ` avisachs
From: avisachs @ 1995-02-11  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Sachs <avisachs>

In article <3hdv42$7i8@theopolis.orl.mmc.com>, <griffind@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
writes:

> Having worked in Ada for more than 5 years on varying projects,
> I think it would be a bad language to teach first. This MHO of
> course, but I think it's too complex a language to start with.
> Also, Ada, despite it's progress (which is considerable) has not
> reached the level of compiler maturity that makes it suitable
> for widespread use (despite the US Gov's insistance).
>
> I think Pascal or C would be a better first choice, backed up
> with good software style standards.

Having worked in Ada for more than 10 years on varying projects, teaching Ada
as first and second language for more than 8 years, I think Ada is the best
language to start with. The compilers that I use in classroom and in projects
are mature and efficient. The language provides good software engineering
foundation and prepares the Software Engineers for the real complex world that
they will have to deal with in their future professional life.

One must understand that today projects become more and more complex and Ada is
the language to help us solve complex systems. More and more software engineers
are working in large scale project with many man-years. They have to learn
discipline and good methods of working.

The era of the heckers is gone. "Write only" program are not economic to write
anymore.

Note that I did not call all those people that are writing programs for their
living "programmers" but software engineers. Because writing software is a
serious business and should not be done by professional (like you would not
expect non-engineers to build a bridge, right?).

Ada is a language with various features. Not all of them have to be introduced
at the basic course. The basic course must contain the principles and the basic
features which are easy to use. Therefore, I do not think that Ada is a complex
language to learn.
My conclusion is that Ada is the best language to start with and also to go on
with. Ada95 is going to catch up with all the new features that C++ has to
offer but with the security and discipline that Ada has to offer.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-02-11  5:44 UTC | newest]