From: "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.mmc.orl.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with Address Clauses
Date: 10 Feb 1995 15:16:44 GMT
Date: 1995-02-10T15:16:44+00:00	[thread overview]

rgilbert@orl.mmc.com (Bob Gilbert) wrote:

> I believe that I may have posted this problem to the group
> some time ago, so I appologize if I'm being somewhat redundant
> of if the question was answered earlier, but here goes:
>
> I'm using an Ada '83 compiler that appears to require a "static
> expression" for the address clause.  This is preventing me from
..
> an unreasonable limitation of this particular compiler.  Do I have
> a valid gripe, or is the compiler vendor within the legal definition
> of the language?  Also, the vendor informs me that this problem will
> still exist even with there Ada 95 offerings.  Should I continue
> pressing the vendor on this point?

Sounds like Alsys. :-)

The LRM (13.5) specifies the part after the "at" must be a "simple
expression". A static expression would certainly qualify as a simple
expression, but so would a function call (LRM 4.4). I'm not sure how
kosher it is to make your compiler MORE restrictive than the language
specifies. Perhaps one of the compiler folk here can comment on this
one. But it sounds like you have a case to me.

T.E.D.
dennison@orl.mmc.com