From: kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: FSF drops Apple boycott, opens gate for GNAT, etc.
Date: 7 Feb 1995 22:55:41 GMT
Date: 1995-02-07T22:55:41+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <INFO-ADA%95020709583652@VM1.NODAK.EDU> CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM writes:
>1) Is/was there some sort of boycott by FSF of Apple/Macintosh
>machines?

There was a boycott of Apple by the LPF.  The FSF supported this
boycott.

>2) For what reason?

Because Apple tried to take away the freedom of people to write
free software.

>3) Did it have any impact?

No way to know.
>4) If the boycott is over, how did this come about? (Is there
>some sort of secret cabal running FSF who went into a smoke
>filled room, made a decision and pronounced it to the world?)

The LPF decided to discontinue the boycott based on their analysis
of the behavior of Apple and other companies and the legal and
practical issues involved.  I don't know if the LPF has given any
official statement.

>5) Is there any immediate impact for the Mac world or FSF world?

Probably not.