From: kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: GNAT & Windows NT
Date: 7 Feb 1995 11:28:16 GMT
Date: 1995-02-07T11:28:16+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3h3j4e$9kn@news.cais.com> lance@cais.com (Lance Kibblewhite) writes:
>I see that the currently available version of GNAT is intended for Pentium
>systems only.
>
>Is anybody working on a version for 486's?  There can't be too many things
>within GNAT (or GCC) that would necessitate a Pentium rather then a 486.

In fact there are none.  I think (but am not 100% sure) that that's also
true for the 486.  So the "Pentium" version should also run on a 486 and
probably 386.

The "pentium" in the name refers just to where it was built and optimized
for (though there are few Pentium-specific optimizations in GCC right
now).

>Actually, I'd prefer an Alpha AXP version, but I would guess that is
>really a problem with getting a GCC port first.

Right. There are code-generation issues on Alpha/NT.  I hope to have
time to deal with them in the next month or so.  GCC and GNAT should
be easily ported to the other NT platforms (MIPS and PowerPC) by just
splicing config files together, but nobody has done this yet as far as
I know.