From: kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: GNAT & RTEMS-Ada?
Date: 7 Feb 1995 10:56:42 GMT
Date: 1995-02-07T10:56:42+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3gtp1c$ih4@michp1.redstone.army.mil> acuff@redstone.army.mil writes:
>The problem we've encountered is related more to gnatbl.  The gnatbl build
>procedure is forcing a native gnatbl even in a cross build (i.e., gnatbl
>referenced the native toolsets rather than the cross).  This is a recognized
>problem in GNAT 2.00 which did not occur in GNAT 1.85.  Our solution was to
>invoke gnatbind and mk68k-coff-ld manually (or via. makefile).

Peculiar.  I don't see what changed in 2.00 in this area.  I would have
expected what you described to always have been the case.

I've long argued that gnatbl should be viewed as a temporary
mechanism, to be eliminated when the "gcc" driver program gets more
intelligent.  Others in the group have disagreed with me on this goal,
but you've given me more ammunition since the driver program knows how
to find cross-tools.

If you're doing sophisticated processing of object files, such as
having a cross-environment, it's probably best not to use gnatbl but
to do as you do anyway since gnatbl is a relatively simplistic tool.