From: jehamby@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE (Jake E. Hamby)
Subject: Motif gfx progs in DEC Ada?
Date: 7 Feb 1995 06:54:50 GMT
Date: 1995-02-07T06:54:50+00:00	[thread overview]

Pardon me for yet another DEC Ada related question but that's what we use
at school...  I would like to write some graphics programs for
DECwindows/Motif on a VAX running VMS and DEC Ada, but I'm having
problems with the Motif-to-Ada bindings.  In ADA$PREDEFINED, I found the
package description file MOTIF_.ADC, but I just couldn't port even the
simplest "open window, print "Hello, world!" program to Ada.  First, the
definition for XtAppInitialize neglected to return a value (in C, it
returns a Widget).  When I substituted XtVaAppInitialize (which should
NOT have an Ada equivalent, since Ada doesn't support varargs), the
program just crashed.

On the other hand, there is a DIFFERENT Motif package in ADA$EXAMPLES,
but it isn't built in to the standard Ada library and I don't have time
to compile it and test it, since it would not be available to
teachers/other students.  Anyway, can anyone please E-Mail me a simple
example program to show how to use package MOTIF to write a simple
graphical program?  I will post up a summary...

BTW, there isn't a recent port of GNAT for VMS, is there?  I love the
Linux version, so I hope there is, or will be soon...

*	Jake Hamby - "Linux: The Choice of a GNU Generation"		*
*	E-MAIL:  jehamby@lightside.com + jehamby@vms4.sci.csupomona.edu *
* 	http://vms4.sci.csupomona.edu/~jehamby/index.html		*