From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: GNAT & Windows NT
Date: 6 Feb 1995 22:07:31 -0500
Date: 1995-02-06T22:07:31-05:00	[thread overview]

Lance says

"I see that the currently available version of GNAT is intended for Pentium
systems only.

Is anybody working on a version for 486's?  There can't be too many things
within GNAT (or GCC) that would necessitate a Pentium rather then a 486.

Actually, I'd prefer an Alpha AXP version, but I would guess that is
really a problem with getting a GCC port first.

Where did you get the idea that the current version of GNAT is only for
the Pentium. This is nonsense, it is a 386/486/Pentium port (remember
that these architectures are equivalent at the user level, modulo Pentium's
well publicized incapability of guarateeing correct division results).

Indeed there has been some discussion of a version that would compensate
for the Pentium deficiencies, but we have not done anything with this yet
(though we know how).

There already is a version for Alpha AXP.