* MIL-1553B hardware/software
@ 1995-01-31 11:48 Paul Schulz
From: Paul Schulz @ 1995-01-31 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are investigating the military bus MIL-1553B used in e.g. avionics.
For our purposes we are looking for chip-sets and software (e.g. drivers)
supporting this bus.

Any information about this subject is welcome.

---
Paul Schulz
Signaal Communications
P.O. Box 88
1270 AB Huizen
Tel. +31-35-874120
Fax. +31-35-874758
[Unclassified]

* Re: MIL-1553B hardware/software
@ 1995-02-01 16:13 RWTMS1::GRAZIANI
From: RWTMS1::GRAZIANI @ 1995-02-01 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We are investigating the military bus MIL-1553B used in e.g. avionics.
> For our purposes we are looking for chip-sets and software (e.g. drivers)
> supporting this bus.
>
> Any information about this subject is welcome.
>
> ---
> Paul Schulz
> Signaal Communications
> P.O. Box 88
> 1270 AB Huizen
> Tel. +31-35-874120
> Fax. +31-35-874758
> [Unclassified]

DTI (Digital Technology Inc) of Dayton, Ohio, USA, makes a line of 1553 bus i/o
cards and software drivers for PCs, VME, VAX Q-bus, and maybe other hardware
platforms.  We've been  using their Q-bus cards for the past 5 years or so and
they have always been very responsive to any problems we've had.  Early in our
experience we had a couple hardware problems but they quickly provided support
and either sent someone to our facility or upgraded are cards.

Another vendor is Loral Test & Information Systems of San Diego, CA, USA,
619-674-5100 and they make PC and VME/VXI 1553 bus boards and software drivers
but I have no experience with them.

Alain Graziani
graziani%rwtms1.decnet@consrt.rockwell.com
"I feel the need for speed!"

International Space Station Alpha
Rocketdyne Division
Rockwell International

* Re: MIL-1553B hardware/software
@ 1995-02-01 16:17 ` Garlington KE
       [not found]   ` <3gqrsu$llc@btmplq.god.bel.alcatel.be>
From: Garlington KE @ 1995-02-01 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Schulz (p_schulz@signaal.nl) wrote:
: We are investigating the military bus MIL-1553B used in e.g. avionics.
: For our purposes we are looking for chip-sets and software (e.g. drivers)
: supporting this bus.

Chipsets: Try:

United Technologies Microelectronics Center
1575 Garden of the Gods Road
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80907-3486 USA
Marketing: 719-594-8088 or 800-722-1575
Technical: 719-594-8252
Literature: 800-645-UTMC

ILC Data Device Corporation
105 Wilbur Place
Bohemia, NY 11716-2482
516-567-5600

Also, Exclaibur makes a test/simulation VME/VXI board for testing 1553s.

Excalibur Systems, Inc.
P.O. Box 6839
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
718-357-3500

As for software, there may be some software at one of the reuse centers,
but I'm not sure. Be aware that there are some variants on the standard,
so be sure you have full specs before buying any equipment or software.

Ken Garlington                  GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com
F-22 Computer Resources         Lockheed Fort Worth Co.

If LFWC or the F-22 program has any opinions, they aren't telling me.

@ 1995-02-06 16:19     ` Kevin Weise
From: Kevin Weise @ 1995-02-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Paul Schulz (p_schulz@signaal.nl) wrote:
>: We are investigating the military bus MIL-1553B used in e.g. avionics.
>: For our purposes we are looking for chip-sets and software (e.g. drivers)
>: supporting this bus.
>
> We are currently developing the MIL-STD-1553B subsystem of a ground
> system avionics facility for the Columbus,
> International Space Station Alpha and others. We intend using VME
> w3cards supplied by :

Has anybody tried the Generic Avionics Data Bus Tool Kit (GADBTK)
software, available from ajpo.sei.cmu.edu/public/atip?  This came out of
the Ada Technology Insertion Program, and is free for the anonymous
ftp-ing.  I'd hate to see someone have to go develop ANOTHER
implementation of this if the existing, free one works.

Kevin J. Weise			weisek@source.asset.com
COLSA Corporation		Voice - (205) 922-1512 ext. 2115
6726 Odyssey Drive		FAX   - (205) 971-0002
Huntsville, AL  35806
{Standard Disclaimers about my opinions & my employer's opinions}
{... which are in conflict often enough}
"Admire those who seek the truth;
  avoid those who find it."		Marcel Proust