From: andrewd@seldon.apanix.apana.org.au (Andrew Dunstan)
Subject: Re: Dear Programmrers, PERL seems the Language to go for. (I have used, BASIC, C, C++, TCL/TK, PASCAL).
Date: 2 Feb 1995 03:08:04 GMT
Date: 1995-02-02T03:08:04+00:00	[thread overview]

Bob Munck (pp000166@interramp.com) wrote:

: IMHO, perl rots.

: I'd give a fairly important segment of my anatomy for an http
: server written in Ada, supporting cgi invokable functions also
: in Ada.  Ideally, it would contain or use a small, fast ERA
: database for lightweight hypertext structures.

I've done a lot of Ada, and now do a lot of perl - result of changing
jobs. I love Ada, and am quite taken with perl, for all its
uglinesses.

They really are best suited to different problem domains. Today one of
my colleagues asked me for som help with a shell script he was getting
errors from. I quickly diagnosed the problem - he was trying to use
unix2dos as a filter, and this won't work. "Would you like me to write
one for you?" I offered. "How long will it take?" he asked. "About 10
seconds," I replied, and scribbled

  perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/;'

We should stop slinging off at other languages indiscriminately. We
_should_ criticize the use of languages inappropriately, and we should
extol the virtues of Ada - there are so many.

cheers

andrew