From: rentmei@asterix.uni-muenster.de (Jahn Rentmeister)
Subject: Re: How come so much traffic on comp.lang.ada??
Date: 31 Jan 1995 09:20:56 GMT
Date: 1995-01-31T09:20:56+00:00	[thread overview]

Henry Baker (hbaker@netcom.com) wrote:
: I've constantly been amazed by the volume of traffic on comp.lang.ada
: relative to comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++.  On many days the ratio is
: about 1:3, meaning 1 Ada message for every 3 C messages or every 4 C++
: messages.  I have a hard time believing that this is the same as the
: ratio of the number of Ada programmers to C/C++ programmers.  (One
: glance at computer selection at Barnes & Noble bookstore tells a
: completely different story.)

: I can only speculate on the reasons for this:

How about these reasons: For Ada, a new Standard has just been done, a new,
free compiler is in progress, and the ratio of people learning Ada in
beginning programmer's courses compared to those learning C or C++ in
beginning courses is "better" (imho) than that of Ada programmers to C/C++
programmers.

I know more people learning Ada than working with Ada. I know no one learning
C. (Well, now guess what they're teaching to students here.)

Back in the days when GNAT was not widely ported and Ada9X was "far away",
traffic around here was less.

There's another reason:
People who know Ada and learn C or C++ will hardly ever ask any stupid
questions: Those who have seen the light are enlightened. But the C/C++
programmers learning Ada ...
:-)

And of course, the C/C++ groups lack the support of the deadly Ada mandate (tm)
--
## PsionCrosspoint 3a Series V 0.99 B ##