From: l107353@cliffy.lfwc.lockheed.com (Garlington KE)
Subject: Re: Ada Run-time for embedded systems
Date: 30 Jan 1995 19:42:38 GMT
Date: 1995-01-30T19:42:38+00:00	[thread overview]

CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM wrote:
: I've never heard of COTS software applications for embedded
: computers. What exactly are you trying to do? Run Windows NT on a
: missile navigation system? ;-) Seriously, a little more info on
: what you're trying to do might help suggest a solution.

Actually, there's a lot of COTS being used in embedded systems these days;
it's just that "embedded" means more than those weaselly little processors
used in avionics like ICNIA (or like I still use today :). For example,
C3I workstations are often called "embedded" systems since they are part of
a larger system. Many of these environments use extensive COTS databases,
display managers, etc.

BTW, even the Ada version of ICNIA uses a custom OS, although things have
improved somewhat since the JOVIAL days...

Ken Garlington                  GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com
F-22 Computer Resources         Lockheed Fort Worth Co.

If LFWC or the F-22 program has any opinions, they aren't telling me.