From: "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.mmc.orl.com>
Subject: Re: Assignment of limited private types...
Date: 30 Jan 1995 18:50:41 GMT
Date: 1995-01-30T18:50:41+00:00	[thread overview]

stevem@dcs.gla.ac.uk (Steve McGowan) wrote:

> I'd like to pass in a 'file_type' identifier into a task, make a local
> copy of this identifier within the task, and then write text to this
> file stream inside the task.
>
> But I cannot do this since 'file_type' is limited private.
>
> Any ideas how I can pass in this identifier, and to write to it
> locally?

The reason people make types "limited private" is so users CAN'T
make local copies of the objects. If the designer wanted you to
be able to make copies of file_type objects, she would have made
the type "private".

If for some reason you HAVE to make a copy, you could use an
unchecked_conversion, but DO NOT DO THIS! Odds are very high that
you will not get the results you desire. Try something else.

T.E.D.