From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Meridian v4.1.1 ????
Date: 30 Jan 1995 06:50:49 -0600
Date: 1995-01-30T06:50:49-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <3gghmv$cdh@felix.seas.gwu.edu>,
Michael Feldman <mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu> wrote:

>IMHO, Rational would do us all a favor by putting out an authoritative,
>quotable statement saying in plain English what is going on.

Let me add my comments here.  Back in, hmm, 87-88, I recommended
Meridian look into the "BlackBeard" editor.  A shareware editor with
lots of nice features.  Well, sure enough, they did, and decided it
was worth including into the Open Ada product.  I was rather pleased
they did this -- it was quite a powerful editor.  When I asked a
Rational person (at a certain conference not too long ago) about Open
Ada, they did indeed tell me about OpenAda going to DC Heath.  The
implication I had was the DC Heath bought the masters and was going
to sell it basically as an "unmaintained" product.

Now, I can't really fault Rational for doing this -- the profit
margins were probably in the negative range, and OpenAda doesn't
really conform to that "upper class" image they're marketing.  Still,
I agree with Mike that quietly slipping OpenAda under the rug was a
very unwise thing to do, especially considering most students use
that as their primary compiler at home and at school.  Surrendering
that market to GNAT is, IMHO, a Good Thing; however, at least that
should have been admitted (I guess they couldn't because that would
trash DC Heath's planned profit margins, I suppose).  OK, I think I
understand now why Rational hasn't said anything.  :-)

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command: