From: beckwb@ois.com (R. William Beckwith)
Subject: Re: Question regarding LRM 5.95 7.6(19)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 13:59:07 -0500
Date: 1995-01-18T13:59:07-05:00	[thread overview]

Norman H. Cohen (ncohen@watson.ibm.com) wrote:
: their presence too.

: For the programmer, this means that you should not count on exotic side
: effects that depend on Finalize and Adjust being invoked some precise
: number of times.  Normal uses of Finalize and Adjust will work normally,
: however, even in the presence of optimizations.

I was under the impression that any object that is initialize'd or
adjust'ed _will_ always get finalize'd.  However, some objects may
(potentially) get finalize'd more than once and/or get finalize'd
without ever being initialize'd or adjust'ed.

I have reference counting that depends on this behavior.
Am I safe? Lawyers?  Compiler writers?

... Bill