From: AdaMagica <christoph.grein@eurocopter.com>
Subject: Re: Little tutorial about streams
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 01:54:12 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2011-03-01T01:54:12-08:00	[thread overview]

On 1 Mrz., 04:48, "Randy Brukardt" <ra...@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
> The little table under "Serialization functions" seems confusing, since it
> uses "composite" for Input and Output. But of course you can use Read and
> Write for "composite" types. It seems the intent is to be more informal
> (since "simple" is used rather than "elementary", which is good as there are
> no elementary class-wide types); may I suggest that the other entries use
> "complex" rather than "composite"? (Or some word meaning the same, if the
> confusion with "complex" numbers is a concern.)

I would propose "definite" for "simple" and "indefinite" for
"composed".

For definite types, the bounds and discriminants are known, so need
not be put on the stream (Read/Write).

For indefinite types, the bounds and discriminants are needed to
construct the object, so they have to be put into the stream (Input/
Output).