From: Adrian Hoe <AdrianHoe@nowhere.com>
Subject: Re: Solid facts to promote Ada
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:41:32 +0800
Date: 2003-10-25T11:41:32+08:00	[thread overview]

Randy Brukardt wrote:
> "Adrian Hoe" <AdrianHoe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Preben Randhol wrote:

>>>Actually, your web page is: http://www.adrianhoe.com/
>>
>>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>By giving the actual url like above, it opens up a big vulnerability for
>>spammers. Today, spammers use a software so effectively to collect email
>>addresses and urls (and email addresses from urls) automatically. That's
>>why I put spaces in the url, hopefully, spam software is not intelligent
>>enough to recognize it. :)
>

> So you are saying you don't want anyone to link to this paper? If so, it's
> close to useless. We need information like this on Adaic. But of course, to
> be useful, it has to be pointed at by search engines like Google and of
> course the Ada-wide search engine on Adaic. And those use the exact same
> techniques that spammers do.

No, that wasn't my intention. I have been monitoring my website log and
I sought some help from some Internet experts and managed to identify
the crawling robots' origins.

Those who use crawling robots to collect email addresses are real pro
and they only sell email addresses. Most of them do not spam.

There is another group of spammers who use low-tech method to collect
email addresses, subscribing to usenet. They receive the digest and feed
it to their software to extract email addresses.

My low-tech (and stupid) method is to hopefully reduce the chances in
the usenet.

> Mail servers that send useless bounce messages (such as the many that
> happened for the SWEN virus) are part of the problem. If you don't have to
> accept mail from everywhere, just block the problem IPs at the firewall or
> router. I can't do that (Ada-Comment and the like should be open to
> everyone), but there are filtering techniques that do work and hardly ever
> catch good mail. (Otherwise, I would be off the internet; I'm getting 500
> spam a day, and it increases 50 every month.)
>
> BTW, who's running the unfiltered mailing list that's letting all the spam
> get posted to this newsgroup? If it doesn't stop, I'm going to have to leave
> this list, because it is ridiculous that so much dangerous junk is showing
> up here. I filter to prevent this kind of crap from getting to my desktops,
> and it's extremely annoying to have it get sent in via the newsreader.
> Either shut down the list or put a good spam filter on it!!

I've noticed some spam on this list too.

--
Adrian Hoe
m a i l b o x AT a d r i a n h o e . c o m