From: Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Linux distro for new server?
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 00:54:13 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2013-01-03T00:54:13-08:00	[thread overview]

W dniu czwartek, 3 stycznia 2013 01:42:13 UTC+1 użytkownik Randy Brukardt napisał:

> This is mostly off-topic, but as it will be used to compile and run Ada
> programs, it's not *completely* off-topic,

I have good experiences with minimal (clean) Debian installation plus individually pulled packages, but only those that are actually needed.
I believe that any clean installation of whatever Linux distro would work fine, but what makes Debian standing out is a set of Ada-oriented packages that are well maintained and consistent (thanks to Ludovic & co.).

If you already have an administrator that has his own personal preferences, I would let him decide (especially if there are many machines involved, which brings subjects like infrastructure monitoring, etc.), as this always guarantees higher motivation and work satisfaction - but if such issues are out of picture, then I would go for the consistency of a minimal Debian system.

My alternative choice would be a FreeBSD machine, but the risk of solving software configuration issues on your own would have to be taken under consideration - that is, the operating system itself is close to perfect, but due to smaller user base the user-level software around it might be less consistent than what you can get in Debian.

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.msobczak.com * http://www.inspirel.com