* MIDI library for Ada
@ 2003-10-17  0:29 aleistad
From: aleistad @ 2003-10-17  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I glad to report that I now have an Ada program that plays a scale over MIDI
:-)

(ref the thread: "Ada and MidiShare)

The immediate solution was right under my nose, in the form of Win32Adas'
bindings to the Windows multimedia services (they are not mentioned in the
Win32Ada.hlp file). All I needed to do was to instantiate some data types
and call a couple of functions.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no real dependency on Win32Ada as such, it
only provides thin bindings to the "libwinmm" library, and no Ada function
are used. If the supplied libwinmm.a  is the same as in general gcc
distributions, all that needs to be done is to write a similar thin binding,
covering only MIDI (and possibly audio). This is of course only the very
basic byte-by-byte I/O.

The status so far is the MIDI is easily acheivable, and I have the basics
running fine on two different Win98 PC's .

To get reception going the use of a callback is required; that's next on my
list of experiments (and my Ada education).

So - if  there is interest, I'd propose that we co-develop a production
quality stand-alone MIDI library (and possibly audio too). My own
capabilities are limited, as I'm just learning Ada, but I will contribute in
any way I possibly can.

Please, let's discuss!

Regards,

    Are

* Re: MIDI library for Ada
@ 2003-10-26  8:19 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2003-10-26  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, a can't find the original message you replied to , so i just wanted to
add some informations :
i started implementing a full ADA midi library.
Now, this library is able to read midi file, get all chunks and parse midi
events.
you can plug your custom parsing procedure to do what you want
it is also able to write midi file.

the packages is not actually able to bind to a physical midi , or and OS
Midi interface. but it must not be very difficult.

if you are interested, just email me i'll send you the sources.

cheers,
Patrice

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 02:29:04 +0200, aleistad wrote:

> I glad to report that I now have an Ada program that plays a scale over MIDI
> :-)
>
> (ref the thread: "Ada and MidiShare)
>
> The immediate solution was right under my nose, in the form of Win32Adas'
> bindings to the Windows multimedia services (they are not mentioned in the
> Win32Ada.hlp file). All I needed to do was to instantiate some data types
> and call a couple of functions.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, there is no real dependency on Win32Ada as such, it
> only provides thin bindings to the "libwinmm" library, and no Ada function
> are used. If the supplied libwinmm.a  is the same as in general gcc
> distributions, all that needs to be done is to write a similar thin binding,
> covering only MIDI (and possibly audio). This is of course only the very
> basic byte-by-byte I/O.
>
> The status so far is the MIDI is easily acheivable, and I have the basics
> running fine on two different Win98 PC's .
>
> To get reception going the use of a callback is required; that's next on my
> list of experiments (and my Ada education).
>
> So - if  there is interest, I'd propose that we co-develop a production
> quality stand-alone MIDI library (and possibly audio too). My own
> capabilities are limited, as I'm just learning Ada, but I will contribute in
> any way I possibly can.
>
> Please, let's discuss!
>
> Regards,
>
>     Are
>
> --

* Re: MIDI library for Ada
@ 2003-10-26 23:35   ` aleistad
From: aleistad @ 2003-10-26 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Patrice Freydiere" <frett27@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi, a can't find the original message you replied to , so i just wanted to
> add some informations :
> i started implementing a full ADA midi library.
> Now, this library is able to read midi file, get all chunks and parse midi
> events.
> you can plug your custom parsing procedure to do what you want
> it is also able to write midi file.
>
> the packages is not actually able to bind to a physical midi , or and OS
> Midi interface. but it must not be very difficult.
>
> if you are interested, just email me i'll send you the sources.
>

> cheers,
> Patrice

Hi Patrice!

Hmm... lets see; you have a MIDI file library and I have a MIDI I/O library.
I'd say that is promising :) The I/O lib only has Windows bindings ATM, and
needs a little more work. It shouldn't bee too hard to add supprt for other
platforms.

I'll get back yo you by mail for some file exchanging.

Regards,

   Are

* Re: MIDI library for Ada
@ 2003-10-29 20:34     ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2003-10-29 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:35:10 +0100, aleistad wrote:

> "Patrice Freydiere" <frett27@free.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi, a can't find the original message you replied to , so i just wanted to
>> add some informations :
>> i started implementing a full ADA midi library.
>> Now, this library is able to read midi file, get all chunks and parse midi
>> events.
>> you can plug your custom parsing procedure to do what you want
>> it is also able to write midi file.
>>
>> the packages is not actually able to bind to a physical midi , or and OS
>> Midi interface. but it must not be very difficult.
>>
>> if you are interested, just email me i'll send you the sources.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Patrice
>
> Hi Patrice!
>
> Hmm... lets see; you have a MIDI file library and I have a MIDI I/O library.
> I'd say that is promising :) The I/O lib only has Windows bindings ATM, and
> needs a little more work. It shouldn't bee too hard to add supprt for other
> platforms.
>
> I'll get back yo you by mail for some file exchanging.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Are
> --

i had a linux box at home, so it would'nt be very difficult to support
more platforms ;-) (at this time, there is a lot of sound library on linux
(OSD, ALSA, ART .. ) but the best one must come out ?? that's the Open
Source effect ....... the real question is ... When ??

by the way,
what functions provide your library ?
can you send me your library ?

i will work thoses days one my midi library, 'cause i promise my dad
a famous recognition midi program for his barrel organs !!
if you have wishes. i could work on that too ?

Patrice

* Re: MIDI library for Ada
@ 2003-10-30 16:47       ` aleistad
From: aleistad @ 2003-10-30 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:35:10 +0100, aleistad wrote:
[snip]
> i had a linux box at home, so it would'nt be very difficult to support
> more platforms ;-) (at this time, there is a lot of sound library on linux
> (OSD, ALSA, ART .. ) but the best one must come out ?? that's the Open
> Source effect ....... the real question is ... When ??
>

> by the way,
> what functions provide your library ?
> can you send me your library ?

I tried to email you at the above address, but since ther has been no reply
I assume that it isn't your "real" address(?)

You can reach me at:  aleistad at broadpark dot no
Please send me a  mail there.

  Are

* Re: MIDI library for Ada
@ 2003-10-30 21:56         ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2003-10-30 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:47:58 +0100, aleistad wrote:

> "Patrice Freydiere" <frett27@free.fr> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:35:10 +0100, aleistad wrote:
> [snip]
>> i had a linux box at home, so it would'nt be very difficult to support
>> more platforms ;-) (at this time, there is a lot of sound library on linux
>> (OSD, ALSA, ART .. ) but the best one must come out ?? that's the Open
>> Source effect ....... the real question is ... When ??
>>

>> by the way,
>> what functions provide your library ?
>> can you send me your library ?
>
> I tried to email you at the above address, but since ther has been no reply
> I assume that it isn't your "real" address(?)
>
> You can reach me at:  aleistad at broadpark dot no
> Please send me a  mail there.
>
>   Are
> --

i answered your mail !! my email adress is the one above !!
frett27@free.fr

Regards
Patrice